The Road book - Columbia essay (write about a book that is meaningful)

silentspring 12 / 58  
I use wrote about The Road.

Anyone who is knowledgeable about the book help me?
I will sent it to your email. Thank You So Much!
perfectshove 1 / 3  
I think you probably need to discover this yourself and not others helping you. This is due mainly to the fact others might interpret this book differently than you.

Plus you need to know why was it meaningful to you!
inventor1488 2 / 17  
post what you've written thus far
OP silentspring 12 / 58  
The Road, Mc Carthy' --write a book that is meaningful

The meaning of The Road is enriched in Mc Carthy's unconventional writing. By omitting the use of apostrophes and quotation marks, Mc Carthy reflects the post-apocalyptic world where grammar rules are forgotten. Mc Carthy' frequent use of fragments such as "Barren, silent, godless" does not only manifest his spare writing style, but also his intention to provoke reader to read beyond the surface of the text.

The title The Road itself symbolizes the seemingly endless journey of the man and the boy. To the man, survival is meaningless and impossible without the boy. Because of the boy, the man strives to find hope to carry on in the bleak and dying world. Through the portrayal of the man's dedication to protect the boy, McCarthy exemplifies that even in the cruelty of the post-apocalyptic world, the altruism of fatherhood will still exist.

In the book, the man's love for the boy is emotionally shattering. Whenever I read the scenes of the man protecting the boy, my mind automatically reminisces my time with my father: It was six in the morning and the sky was dark. Thick drops of rain poured down from the sky and flooded the road. Though we had two raincoats, one was dilapidated. My father dressed me in the new raincoat and he wore the old one. On the road, as he was driving me in a motorcycle, rain slipped through the creaks of the raincoat and made him shiver. When we arrived at the school, he walked me to the classroom while his clothes were dripping chains of water droplets.

Any comments, edits please, I want to submit it today.
makman09 9 / 86  
This essay is pretty good. I mean you had everything wonderfully crafted about the book.
I really can't find anything wrong with it. It's just frustrating for me to find any errors because I can't
You talked about the book with a brief summary and then connect to yourself. The only thing I could think that is wrong is just the intro because it doesn't connect will with the other two paragraphs, but I assume you wrote that to convey the meaningfulness of the book to you.

The essay is bound to impress anyone.
OP silentspring 12 / 58  
Makman99 I commented on yours hope that helps.
Alicegz 2 / 25  
I'm not familiar with this prompt. What college is this for?

This is very well written! I am not sure if the title of the book should be italicized or not, since you said that even the author did not use proper grammar in the book.

Good job and I would be grateful if you could take a look at my Yale supplement!
OP silentspring 12 / 58  
Thanks. I will italicize it. I need edits!!!!! Please help.
williamwu123 2 / 3  
TBH, it reads more like a school essay than a college application. Think you need to make it more personal, that is, why it is meaningful to you, rather than what the book is about.
rockbiter 1 / 16  
The last part seems a bit disconnected and does not really conclude. Also, the paragraphs don't necessarily match up well with each other. I think it would be a good idea too to add in the author's full name, Cormac McCarthy. In MLA format, the title of a book is italicized, so I believe it would be best do so. Half of this essay sounds like an analysis paper or a book report, not a college admissions essay - try to make it even more personal, if possible.
cmaher92 2 / 9  
You refer to it as "the road" too often, try to use other ways.

Seems like you add to many unneeded adjectives.
Pottergirl19 5 / 15  
Maybe add an example from The Road of the father's love for his son - show, don't tell

Try rephrasing "I find meaning in The Road..." - it sounds too much like you are answering a question. (I know you are, but it needs to seem effortless.)

And if you switch around the first sentence of the last paragraph to "Carmac McCarthy's unconventional writing enriches the meaning of The Road," it might flow a little better with the rest of the essay.

Overall though, good job
appliCAN 6 / 18  
I find meaning in The Road not only because that I can easily relate to it, it is also that it strongly demonstrates the power of father-and-son relationship.
rockbiter 1 / 16  
Looks better than your other draft! I would change the sentence though to "The book not only intrigues me because our close connection, but because of its unconventional writing." Saying "also" in it sounds redundant to me because of the phrase "not only." Good luck!
OP silentspring 12 / 58  
The book intrigues me not only because of our close connection, but also because of its unconventional writing.

The book not only intrigues me because our close connection, but because of its unconventional writing.

which one is better? anyone else please help.
appliCAN 6 / 18  
Love the reference to authors syntax.. I think the first sounds better and probably works but neither sounds great to be honest. Maybe try cleaning it up a bit
OP silentspring 12 / 58  
What about ?
The book not only intrigues me because our close connection, but also because of its unconventional writing.

Home / Undergraduate / The Road book - Columbia essay (write about a book that is meaningful)