Psychology and Economics are my favorites; Rice supplement / Why Social Sciences?

sogoldman 6 / 21 2  
With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study. (2000 characters)

I have studied advanced high school chemistry, physics, math and social sciences. Each of these disciplines finds order from apparent randomness, predictability from unpredictability. I gravitate toward them because I appreciate organization. I color-code my notes and draw all my graphs with a straightedge, writing schedules to manage my time. I focus on topics deeply and seek to identify patterns within them. Thus, I enjoy all sciences. However, Psychology and Economics stand out specifically because they study order in people and social systems.

I love Psychology because it incorporates physics, chemistry, biology, and statistics to examine and classify human thought and behavior. I find neuroscience especially fascinating because it demonstrates that, ultimately, everything we think or do results from simple electrical impulses that we can study and organize. Indeed, insights in neuroscience especially advance our understanding of human psychology and pathology.

Economics focuses on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, utilizing mathematics and psychology to analyze human decision-making and explain our purchasing behavior. The concept of opportunity cost is particularly interesting because it provides a system for organizing and justifying every choice a consumer, business or government makes. It eliminates the randomness of decision-making giving economists the tools to objectively study people's buying and selling behavior.

My love of social sciences could be considered peculiar. For example, even when I could skip my Psychology final and keep my A, I spent hours looking over my notes and summarizing my favorite topics, studying social sciences as a hobby, not as a task. What's more, social sciences excite me; I often feel my heartbeat increasing or my palms sweating as I walk down the hallway to my Economics classroom--and that isn't because I feel like a salmon in a river of Lowell students, pushing my way through the crowd and swinging my backpack like a weapon. I love the social sciences because they explain the unexplainable and bring order to the chaos that is human thought and behavior. (2168 characters)
enigma33 2 / 44 3  
This is a really good essay. You answer the prompt well and don't diverge. You might want to talk about an event that made you want to study psychology and economics? but that's just a suggestion.

Can you take a look at my Princeton supplement?

Home / Undergraduate / Psychology and Economics are my favorites; Rice supplement / Why Social Sciences?