'"The Pearl" by John Steinbeck' - a book that changed the way you see the world

mohamed459 9 / 27  
Tell us about a book that changed the way you see the world. What was it about the work that affected you? How did your world become different?

Feel free to criticize and comment to your heart's content. Thank you in advance. Also is it okay if it is 587 words but less than 6000 charcters?

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- -
Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to grow up and become a billionaire. I thought that money can get you anything, even happiness, and that money is really what makes the world go round. This view of mine was altered, however, after reading the novella "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck in my freshmen year in high school.

The novella revolves around a man name Kino who finds a pearl of great wealth that ultimately causes him nothing but trouble due to the greed that consumed him. He initially sets out to find the pearl in order to cure his sick son, and he is succeeds in doing so by finding a huge pearl of great value. The pearl comes to represent not only the money needed to pay for his son's treatment, but it also represents Kino's hopes and dreams for his family. The pearl aids Kino in becoming a big shot in his village where he is envied for his great success. At first, Kino's accomplishment and fortunate luck had only intensified my desire to obtain a colossal amount of wealth, but the story then took a twisted turn. Kino began to become consumed by greed and he refused to sell the pearl for the large sum of money offered because he desired more. The pearl, that once represented Kino's hopes turned into an object of moral destruction that changed Kino from a loving father to a savage man who is blind to everything but wealth. The horrific consequences that followed show that greed leads to nothing but trouble. The pearl causes Kino to murder a man and savagely beat his wife. Also it ultimately leads to the death of his child. These consequences are truly appalling, and after reading this book I hope that I don't follow the same path as Kino.

This novella has affected me in a number of ways and has changed the way I see the world. Before reading this book, I truly thought that money is the only thing that matters in this world and without it happiness can't exist. My assumption turned out wrong, however, because after reading this book I learned that making money is not what is most important. What really counts is how I obtain the money and how I use is in order to help my family. This is what Kino originally had in mind, but he loses sight of his dreams and hopes when greed starts to consume him and fails in achieving his original goal. Another way this book has affected me, is that it showed me that family should be my top priority. Kino's wife tries to get rid of the pearl due to the danger it was causing the family, but Kino stops her attempt and savagely beats her for trying to get rid of the pearl. The result was the horrible experiences that he and his family suffered, and this shows that it is wise to always put family first. Lastly this book made me consider the many options and opportunities I have ion life. I originally planned to pursue a career that got me the most money, but after reading this book I started to consider a profession that I am interested in. This will lead me to a life of true happiness compared to a life where I would be a slave to the dollar.
hiiithere 2 / 5  
I loved the book! Good essay.
OP mohamed459 9 / 27  
I was wondering if someone can help me fix my grammar mistakes. Also does the essay answer the question well?
Kash - / 1  
Here are my suggestions to remove a few glitches in your essay:

The novella revolves around a man named Kino who

Instead of "becoming a big shot", "becoming a noteworthy and influential person in his village" is more appropriate in writing.

Reword this whole sentence "Kino began to become consumed by greed and he refused to sell the pearl for the large sum of money offered because he desired more". Perhaps something like this: Overtaken by increasing greed, Kino refused to sell the pearl for a large sum offered to him and thought of selling the pearl for an even higher price.

Try not to use a word twice in an essay. The word "greed" is becoming redundant here. "but he loses sight of his dreams and hopes when greed starts to consume him and fails in achieving his original goal." Try this: but his avarice sways over him and leads him to forget the initial purpose he had for the desired money and to fail to achieve it.
OP mohamed459 9 / 27  
Thanks for the help

Home / Undergraduate / '"The Pearl" by John Steinbeck' - a book that changed the way you see the world