Nostalgia: Whats your favorite word?-- Make up your own prompt

rebrose 8 / 20  
Any feedback is appreciated. I don't really have a conclusion so any suggestions would be great!

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care, for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or evil."-Buddha

Words are powerful objects; they can build up and tear down. What is your favorite word?

Nostalgia, it is not euphonious; it does not roll off the tongue. The arrangement of its letters is not necessarily pleasing to the eye, yet it is my favorite word.

Nostalgia is defined as a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life. It is a powerful emotion; it can alter memories and distort facts. Nostalgia allows the sufferer to remember former times without the harsh, fluorescent light of reality. The mean-spirited words and the tedious daily routines are forgotten and only the times in which joy was felt are remembered. All the negative aspects of life vanish in the rosy glow of memories tainted by nostalgia.

Nostalgia has not always been my favorite word, for a time it was ennui and later bamboozle. I came to love nostalgia gradually, as I read the works of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Many of his characters suffer from bouts of nostalgia; they idealize their childhood, youth, or lovers. These characters see only the good and the glorious times of the past.

Marquez revealed to me the power of nostalgia. It holds in its grasp individuals, families, cities, and societies. Individuals wish to relive happy, carefree days, families prefer to recall their former wealth, cities desire their days of power and influence, and societies recollect their glittering culture. No one is free from nostalgic remembrances.

Memories are not static; they change over time and that is why nostalgia is potent. It dilutes the unhappy memories while strengthening the joyful ones. It creates a vision of simpler times.
mhjohnson05 3 / 4  
i've read a few of these favorite word essays and i like this word choice the most. It's not cliche in any way. You may want to make it a little longer, if possible. I feel like your last paragraph ends very suddenly. Other than that, I can't find a single grammatical error.

Home / Undergraduate / Nostalgia: Whats your favorite word?-- Make up your own prompt