'New opportunities and new experiences' - Dear Roommate - Babson Supplement

sreekar 4 / 4  
Write a letter to your first-year roommate at Babson. Tell him or her what it will be like to live with you, why you chose Babson, and what you are looking forward to the most in college:

Dear Roommate,

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you on becoming part of the exemplary community that can only exist at a place like Babson College. I think we both deserve pats on the back and I undoubtedly expect that the butterflies that are currently in my stomach are inhabiting yours as well. Many people have said that their university years were the best of their lives, so I think it is extremely important to know the person you will be spending a major part of these years with.

I am an outgoing, smart, and helpful person who likes new opportunities that lead to new experiences. Our college years will provide perfect examples of these. We are now in a new place, among new peers, and about to embark on new and exciting journeys. What better place to do this than Babson College? In the course of a man's lifetime, there are many doors from which he can choose to enter. Some lead to success and others to failure, and the cost of choosing one door is losing the opportunity to pass through a possibly better one. Thus, life is about taking educated risks. One cannot afford to bear the consequences of losing the chance to enter a door which could present him with a new, exciting, and amazing world. Babson gives its students such a door. The door to Babson is a golden door that leads its students to wonderful opportunities. If presented with a chance to enter this brilliant new world, one cannot afford to choose another.

Since both of us have successfully chosen the right door and have worked hard to make it to here, I am sure you have decided that Babson is a great fit for you. For me, Babson is great match and I am proud of my choice, one that I will definitely not regret. There are many reasons as to why Babson is a great fit for my abilities and my needs. When I was researching colleges prior to completing my applications, I was attracted to Babson College and its ideals. Of the many universities I have researched, Babson was one among the few that stood out of the pack. This is due to its academic brilliance, its student culture, and the strong vision and core values it has. The values that Babson places emphasis on are very important to me. Integrity, diversity, innovation, collaboration, and excellence are the wheels that this school runs on, and these wheels can take us to places we have never been.

We both know that Babson will provide us with great opportunities, but you are probably wondering what I can offer you and the rest of the Babson community. Well first of all, I promise I'll be a great roommate. I am very helpful, very social, and I will not cause any disturbance as a roommate. However, one thing I cannot do is be a recluse and completely ignore you. A human being in one's room is far too great to ignore, no matter how hard he may try. I am a social person and expect the relationship between two roommates to be mutually beneficial. I am an eager helper, and am always happy to provide any kind of assistance, and expect this in return from my roommate. I will also be a valuable addition to the Babson community. I spent half of my life in India before moving to California, and being part of two worlds has given me a unique and wider perspective. I strongly believe that my unique perspective can definitely augment the community and in return, my experiences at Babson will only add to my perspective and help me grow as a leader, a roommate, and most importantly, as a person.

-Sincerely,
Sreekar Jasthi.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

This is a great letter. You do a good job of "talking" to this person. You cover all of the points requested in the prompt, and I especially like where you discuss what it is you expect out of the other "person." Nice work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
asadder - / 2  
That was really good, very persuasive. I was really confused whether we're supposed to persuade our roommates or the university. Then again, it is in the supplement so we should be writing to persuade the university. Did you apply for early decision?

Home / Undergraduate / 'New opportunities and new experiences' - Dear Roommate - Babson Supplement