My mother's strength (Vires)

carlynnross 4 / 7  
The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

I'll never forget that agonizing night in March of 2002, when my mother placed me on the corner of my bed and patiently explained her fate to me; those were the words that tore me to pieces. How could this be happening to her? She was always on time, cooked dinner for the family and never forgot to kiss us goodnight, why did cancer choose to attack my mother? These were questions that I could never answer, but I learned limitless lessons from her that have forever transformed me as a person. I owe it all to her for the immense amount of strength that I have inherited.

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."- Unknown. Somehow, my cancer stricken mom was able to hold it all together even in times of excruciating pain. With a disease as complex as breast cancer, being an eleven year old I had no idea what to think. All I knew was my hero was sick and I had to hold my head up high, put on my best smile and be mommy's little warrior.

I figured my weekends at the beach and visitors at the bus stop had come to an end once the chemo began to extract the life from her. To my surprise, this was never the case. My mom was a constant solider in this ruthless war, not a moment that she wasn't in the lead. This cancer wanted nothing more than to beat her but she proved to everyone, nothing could beat her down.

As a maturing young girl, I had grasped concepts far beyond my years and I was ready to shock the world. Experiencing cancer gave me a unique perspective on the way that I now view the world. It made me physically stronger by causing me to grow up faster knowing that I will always be a fighter. My moral strength has grown endlessly, for I know that there is no obstacle that I cannot overcome and nothing that I cannot achieve. Intellectually, my growth is immeasurable. I have developed into a leader, as John Quincy Adams said, "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." Based on my mother's triumphs, I know that there is no limit to what I can dream, learn, do or become.

Unfortunately, nine years later, breast cancer has put her to the test again but her fearless approach has inspired me. I now have the drive to be a fearless warrior, courage to face the world when it's so easy to fall apart, confidence when the whole world is counting on me to keep it together, and the ability to override fear with everlasting strength. I owe it all to the bravest, most beautiful solider I know.
chelk - / 3  
You need to state somewhere after "explained her fate to me" that she has cancer. I think it would make it sound better and lend more to the emotions and the confusion you are trying to express in the introduction.

This is an amazing essay topic, and I'm sure you will get excepted!!!
Hi Chelk, I notice the great feedback you have ben giving people. Thanks! We have had a lot of essays to correct lately, and it helps with members give good ideas that really help.

Actually, though, I think Carlyn does a good job of making the reader wonder during that first paragraph and then explaining in para #2 that it was cancer. It is very good this way already, I think...

I kind of like it that you did not talk about the three virtues as students often do. Some students just say, "I play sports, and that is my vires," and that is superficial.

I hope you are able to give this essay a title. I think the title should be
An Essay about Vires

Hey, I am confused at the end... the cancer came back? I hope she is okay...

Home / Undergraduate / My mother's strength (Vires)