Michigan LSA Essay: academic interest

MsSsSs 3 / 7  
hey guys, I finished another short answer. Can you guys please tell me what you think? Thanks.

What led you to choose the areas of academic interest that you have listed in your application to the University of Michigan?

On the first day of AP Economics class, my teacher gave the class a short Economic Reasoning Quiz consisting of eight true or false questions. The first question was "True or False? Life is priceless." I could not think of a single rational reason why it would not be; anyone who thinks otherwise is probably insane.

After we turned in the quiz, my teacher went over the answers. Smilingly faintly, he asked the class who put true for the first question - most of the class raised their hands. Almost mockingly, he remarked, "Well, you are all wrong!" My competitive nature instantly revved up, and opened my mouth to argue. He quickly help up a hand and said, "Before you all create an uproar, let me ask you a few questions. If life was priceless, would you buy the Big Mac with 30 grams of fat for lunch? Have you ever texted while driving, knowing it increases the increased risk of an accident? Who here has went out to enjoy a movie instead of going to the gym to exercise? You value those little luxuries over your life." Stunned, I closed my mouth. As hard as I tried, I could not think of a rebuke.

This is the beginning of a subject I fell in love with immediately. It is, with the unique sense of logic and complexity, studying the foundation of how humans make choices in their lives, how nations create wealth, and how the world is interlinked through trade. It is a subject I plan to expand further at the University of Michigan.
Great anecdote. Since you said it was a short answer, I'm assuming you have no room to reflect on the incident in more detail, which is a pity, since it invites a interesting discussion of risk calculation, cost-benefit analysis, and the like.
vickaay 3 / 6  
This is one of the first short answers I've read and actually enjoyed! It was very well-written. Good work :)
efesach 1 / 5  
Have you ever texted while driving, knowing it increases the increased risk of an accident?

Apart from that, it's a good short answer. :]

Home / Undergraduate / Michigan LSA Essay: academic interest