The Lost Of a Child - Personal Narrative

shawnachames 1 / -  
The Lost Of a Child

I was the type of person that always thought I couldn't have kids. I also was the kind of person that thought people that did drugs or alcohol, who refused to go to the clinic for prenatal care, or people that who intentional did e.t.c things. Is the only people who witnessed or suffered the lost of a child. Obviously I was wrong, that anybody could go through the experience of losing of a child. I did none of these things but as you read on you witness how I ended up being a victim suffering the lost of a child.

During the month of August of 2006, I had notice I came on my monthly menstral. But it had only lasted for 5 minutes, and I knew it was kind of awkward. So I had called the clinic and scheduled me an appointment to see what was going on with my body. They gave me a date that I felt was too long of a wait, so I had went to the hospital to get faster results. So as you know everytime when you go to the hospital they have you to urinate in a cup making sure you ain't on no drugs, if you is pregnant, or any infections. So after they had tested my urine the nurse came in my room that they had me to sit in. She had told me they did a pregnancy test, that it came back positive for me being pregnant. So the nurse gave me a paper so I would have proof that I was pregnant and with a due date. I took the paper to the welfare office for me to be able to get a medical card, so I wouldn't have to worry about the cost of my clinic visits and hospital visits.

In September of 2006, was when I had my 1st prenatal appointment. I had arrived 15 minutes early like they told me, so they can get my information and insurance information that they needed for them to treat me. As the receptionist found my name in the computer,she had said she seen where I was covered by medicaid and also by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shields. She had asked if I had the insurance card on me, I told her no. So she said I wouldn't be able to be seen that day unless I had the card, or the card information. So denied me my prenatal care for that day and rescheduled for December 23rd. I thought it wouldv'e been ok until then, since the receptionist set it two months away. So now that December had finally came I had gather everything I knew I would need so I could put it up for my clinic appointment. It was December 15, 2006, a week before my appointment I woke up that morning with stomach pains. The pain had lasted all day I didn't know it was labor pain, I just thought it was Braxton Hicks ( false labor pain). So that evening the pain had got worser so I had called the hospital, they asked did I see any discharged or spotting of blood? I told them know that I was just having stomach pain. At 2 something in the morning on December 16, 2006, I had went to use the bathroom and notice that their was alot of water coming from my vagina area non stop. I had let my mother know what was going on so she had took me to the hospital (St. Elizabeth North unit). I had let the receptionist know what was going on so they took me straight on back to a room. They gave me some hospital pants because the ones I had on was soaking wet from my water breaking. As you know they had me to urinate in a cup again to test and see what was going on and to make sure drugs or alcohol didn't cause this incident. So when the doctor came in he said that he is not specialized with pregnant female, but he still had checked me pelvic area. When he got done I started bleeding alot and they told me that I was going to have to go to the other hospital (St. Elizabeth south).

As I arrived at emergency doors of the hospital my mother went inside and let them know what was going on, the nurses came out with a wheel chair and had wheeled me inside. from me not getting my prenatal care and having blood drawn, they had to go through all those procedures, before they could give me anything for pain. They did a ultrasounds, drawn blood, and did a pelvic exam on me, then they had finally took me to a room. They had hooked up IV's, than they had injected some medicine in my IV to stop my pain. about 45 minutes later I had ended up dosing off to sleep cause they said they couldn't stop my labor that eventually I'll be having a baby due my water had already broke hours ago. So as I was lying there I felt something pushed in my vagina area, it felt like something was coming out of me. I paged the nurse and let her know what I was feeling, it was two nurses and a doctor that had entered my room. They had pulled the covers up to see what was going on and they had notice my baby head had already slipped out, so they had to get the rest of my baby body out. when they got my baby out I notice I didn't hear no crying no nothing, all I heard was the doctor saying that my baby wasn't breathing that it still had a heart beat. They held my baby in front of me and asked what sex did I think my baby was, when I had looked I notice something growing down there that looked like a penis. So they wrote in my folder a boy, and wrote on the crib card a boy. They told me that there was nothing that they could do that they did everything that they could, that my baby wasn't going to make it. They gave me a camera to take pictures for my memories, his foot prints and a teddy bear that was able to fit the little knitted outfit they had him on with his receiving blanket. So my breathless baby laid in the same room as me for three hours until his heart had finally stop beating, and when they had discharged me. I was alright that day when I had got home, but as I layed down and went to sleep I woke up constantly just crying non stop, and would just cry out the blue. So my mom called the hospital to let them know what was going on how I just keep crying, the nurse said that its just the baby blues, to give me some benadryl that if that don't help to call them back and they will prescribe me some anti-depressent. benadryl helped me somewhat it helped me to sleep to where I was so stressed out to where all I think about is the lost of my baby and being able to cope with everything.

From me experiencing of losing a of a child, it really opened my eyes that don't take nothing for granted and made me understand the saying of " here today and gone tomorrow". From me going through this experience taught me that no matter if you doing what you suppose to or not that anybody can suffer the lost of a child.
fish333 3 / 7  
I was the type of person that always thought I couldn't have kids.

if I say, I would put this sentence like this: I used to be a person who always believe that he will never have a child.

good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / The Lost Of a Child - Personal Narrative