Lifetime goals - pursuing a career in the medical field

Marlyk 3 / 2  
Prompt: Considering your lifetime goals, discuss how your current and future academic and extra-curricular activities might help you achieve your goals.

Having the opportunity to live here on Earth is a privilege parallel to no other. Life is full of obstacles and sometimes you have to be a little bit lucky to get by. I know that there are people in this world that are not as fortunate as I am and that is what propelled me to pursue a career in the medical field. I want to provide to the needs of people who aren't as privileged as myself. I want to make a positive impact on this world and give back to others so that they may do the same in the future.

I started my pursuit in the beginning of my high school years. I've taken courses such as principles of health science, child development, and anatomy and physiology all to help prepare myself for my future in the medical field. These classes have given me a basis of what I can expect and I enjoy learning the various concepts.

One of the most important things things to do when achieving a goal is to have a plan and be prepared. Without proper preparation it is hard to find the direction in which you are headed.

My involvement in multiple extracurricular activities in school has contributed to my plan . Much of my time is spent on the drill team where I am a Senior Lieutenant which comes with many responsibilities and demands that I must meet in order for the team to be successful. My position as Senior Lieutenant has taught me to be a leader rather than a follower. I have learned to take the initiative and be responsible, owning up to my faults and mistakes. I have also bettered my communication skills; my position has made me a better problem solver and communicator when expressing ideas. Along with the drill team, I am a member of PALS(Peer Assistant Leadership Service) and LULAC(League of Latin American Citizens Youth Council). Being involved with PALS and LULAC allow me to interact with people of contrasting cultures and backgrounds. They help me grasp more diversity of the world we live in while at the same time enables me to offer my services of help to all types of people. Lastly I'm a part of Interact Club. Interact Club's purpose is to better our community. We participate in blood drives, community service, and much more. By serving and giving back to community I'm able to achieve a small portion of my end goal.

My future studies are certainly vital and important towards my lifetime goal. The path to becoming a successful doctor is a trivial and trying one but a commitment I'm willing to make and pursue. By attending Texas A&M I'm determined that I will be able to further my education in this aspect. The vibrant tradition of success and accomplishment at this prestigious school draws me in, especially knowing that I will be surrounded by others with ambition and drive to achieve the most that I can.
kitkat 4 / 6 1  
very good intro! very unique!
your essay shows a lot of personality which is great!!
only thing that stands out to me is that your mention a "plan". It is unclear what your plan is, I would suggest making your plan clearer. Also you draw a strong focus to your plan throughout the essay but it gets lost toward the end, I would recommend restating your plan and how you expect to achieve it in your conclusion.

one other minor thing "One of the most important things things to do when achieving a goal is to have a plan and be prepared' just a silly mistake ;)

over all though great essay and love the personality! Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Home / Undergraduate / Lifetime goals - pursuing a career in the medical field