Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Johns Hopkins - INTERNATIONAL STUDIES

hatung94 6 / 8  
Hello everyone, help me check this essay. I'm from vietnam

Johns Hopkins University Supp -- Intended Major Essay

Vietnam International Studies

--------------

It was a hard time for me to realize that the beginning of the Vietnam War was to blame on both sides. The war was waged by the United States so deluded with the domino theory to grasp that it's nationalism that drove Vietnamese, and Vietnam so abhorrent to imperialism to understand that the threat of increasing Communist states' influence was what motivated the U.S.

This new perception makes me wonder: what would my country look like if at that critical time it had been maneuvered by hands of shrewd diplomats, rather than war-like ones. What if the U.S had had a better understanding of the nationalist sentiment which is so entrenched in the little South East Asian country, Vietnam. From then on, I have felt compelled to jump-start my journey to explore factors that make up countries in the world as well as build up my interest in international studies, what I intend to major at Johns Hopkins University.

For the past year, I have spent enormous time visiting news websites and scientific journals to seek answers to complicated conundrums of current world affairs with ceaseless enthusiasm. I want to see why a little Lebanon can make so much impact on the Middle East region. I want to see why Sudan with its tremendous oil reserves could not move up to a high-income country. And of course I want to see why my country Vietnam, after decades of reform, is still trapped in a fragile economy and an incompetent political regime.

As a student with insatiable curiosity and passion for knowledge, I look forward to Johns Hopkins University as a new chapter in my life in which I could immerse myself in academic life and a supportive community of like-minded individuals whose interest in International Studies.

Home / Undergraduate / Johns Hopkins - INTERNATIONAL STUDIES