Holistic care & Sincere compassion ; Nursing Statement of Purpose - UCLA

sdelicana 5 / 10  
Prompt: Please provide a written statement that includes your own assessment of your potential for undergraduate study and for a professional career in nursing, and your reason for selecting the UCLA School of Nursing. You may include information indicating any personal life challenges you have experienced. Multicultural experiences, bilingual abilities and economic, educational or social disadvantages should also be included here. Indicate how your volunteer, work, or other life experiences influenced your decision to pursue a nursing career.

My family is plagued with medical issues. My eldest sister lost her battle against ovarian cancer at the age of 10, my father was gravely ill for years with an unknown diagnosis, my sister was born with a cleft palate, and I was diagnosed with a mild case of scoliosis. When I was six, I despised the putrid smell of hospitals every time I visited the ward of my ailing father. I was appalled by the obligatory plastic surgery that my sister underwent during her adolescence. I hated the routine exercises I had to perform to straighten my spine. I simply detested the dismal atmosphere of a medical environment. Childhood aversions aside, however, I ultimately let go of these unpleasant recollections once I realized that the hospital saved my dad, allowed my sister to feel more confident, and helped me stand straight and tall. With a more mature frame of mind and a stronger penchant for knowledge, I progressively embraced the art of medicine.

The first time I grasped the excitement of scientific discovery was through handling a P-20 micropipette and observing bacteria colonies in the Amgen lab. The first time I truly understood complex human behavior was through Pavlov's phenomenon of classical conditioning, B.F. Skinner's findings regarding behavior control, and the controversy surrounding nature versus nurture. The first time I explored the mechanisms of the human mind was through the captivating text of my AP Psychology text book, and the first time I firmly believed in environmental betterment was through the persuasive tirades of Rachel Carson in Silent Spring. I learned a plethora of things during my adolescence, but these particular experiences encircled my mentality around the realm of science. As much as I value imagination, my newfound fascination for facts compelled me to begin a journey replete with exertion and fulfillment: a journey to nursing.

With notable research programs and a wide array of opportunities for clinical practice, the UCLA School of Nursing well exceeds my professional ambitions. The B.S. Prelicensure program sparks particular interest because it will prepare me for engaging with individuals and population-based cohorts in a medical setting. Upon obtaining a B.S. degree, I plan to enter the Masters Entry Clinical Nurse (MECN) program to obtain a Master of Science in Nursing degree and acquire a license as a registered nurse. Moreover, I aim to spend the following years in graduate study for advance practice in nursing, which UCLA fortunately provides, so I can ultimately reach my ambition of becoming a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. With the university's many centers of excellence, the Center for Vulnerable Populations Research (CVPR) especially inspires me to be more involved in the community and contribute greatly to the needs of individuals facing greater health risks around the world.

I may not have acquired experience in the medical field yet, but volunteering at family-oriented organizations significantly ameliorated my communication capabilities and magnified my sense of altruism. Tutoring and supervising children further served as a stepping stone for my profound interest in the field of pediatrics.

From the countless texts that I perused in my edifying science books to my journey through a passion for altruism, I will strive to reach the day when I finally work in a medical environment, providing holistic care to patients and treating them with sincere compassion. University of California Los Angeles will direct me to this success.

---I wrote a whole new essay because the previous one wasn't going anywhere. However, my biggest concern for this one is that the first half of it sounds so much more like a personal statement rather than a statement of purpose, but I have to get it done by tomorrow, so unfortunately I'll have to stick with it. I just need some grammatical corrections/proofreading/comments about the content. Thanks very much!
OP sdelicana 5 / 10  
can someone proofread it please?
I'm mailing it tomorrow!
My family is plagued with medical issues. My eldest sister lost her battle against ovarian cancer at the age of 10, my father was gravely ill for years with an unknown diagnosis, my other sister was born with a cleft palate, and I was diagnosed with a mild case of scoliosis.

... I guess that inclusion is important.

hildhood aversions aside, however, I ultimately let go of these unpleasant recollections once I realized that the hospital saved my dad, allowed my sister to feel more confident, and helped me stand straight and tall.

.... strong sentence :) You've presented it very cleverly :)

With notable research programs and a wide array of opportunities for clinical practice, the UCLA School of Nursing well exceeds my professional ambitions.

... this is the para you are talking about UCLA. I feel it is better to start with telling them how you got attracted to UCLA program. Tell them how and why you began to like UCLA ; and then tell them about its capabilities that help you achieve your goal.
OP sdelicana 5 / 10  
Thank you! Both your comments were very helpful (:

Home / Undergraduate / Holistic care & Sincere compassion ; Nursing Statement of Purpose - UCLA