Why Gun Rights Are a Huge Problem In Society

lkj6778 1 / 2  
Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation. UT-Austin Topic E

An issue that I deem highly debatable in society today is gun rights. I believe that people should own weapons for the right reasons. The common belief is that guns should protect the people who own them from danger or harm. Society today in the United States tends to misuse guns for the wrong reasons. That's why every time I read the newspaper or computer screen, all I see is nothing but crime broadcasted right before my own eyes. Why can't people resolve issues peacefully without violence, like a compromise, whether it's verbal or on paper? Or just a simple handshake? People should realize how valuable another person's life is, by stepping in their shoes or by showing grief or guilt if they already committed the crime. Society today doesn't realize how much valuable time is wasted in prison or jail. That time could be used to do fun or more worthwhile tasks outside of jail. People should foresee the consequences of their actions ahead before scheming them. Guns should only be used for meaningful reasons, like hunting, to stop a home invasion from getting worse, or in wartime, just to name a few. The second amendment, which states that any American has the right to bear arms, is still an ongoing topic among society today. One example is the Trayvon Martin case in February of 2012. Martin, unarmed at the time, was roaming through a Florida neighborhood, as an intruder, and then he suddenly approached George Zimmerman's car. Zimmerman immediately shot and killed him. Zimmerman said the reason why he shot him was because he was acting in self-defense against Martin. This incident became a nationwide debate the next day. Long story short, no charges were filed against Zimmerman, because there was not enough evidence to indict Zimmerman of homicide. If Martin did not violently approach Zimmerman, no altercation would have occurred. If Zimmerman viciously attacked Martin, maybe the court's decision would be the complete opposite, and no nationwide outcry would result because of this. This incident is still significant in today's generation because some believe that the altercation was about race. For example, supporters of Martin tend to see Zimmerman as a White man, not as a Hispanic man, who he actually is. Others believed that Zimmerman could've used a better alternative, like his fist or a baton, to fend off Martin from causing more damage, as opposed to a gun. Some believe that there should've been more security in the area at the time. I believe that Zimmerman had a chance to fend off Martin so that he can make a compromise with him. Using a gun, in my opinion, is not the ideal way to end a conflict like that.

I believe that Obama should take a stand on gun rights in this country, by addressing the issue in a future presidential speech, or maybe the State of the Union. I believe that Congress should form an amendment stating the situations of where and when a certain type of gun may be used. Lastly, why own a gun if you're going to use it in situations where it is not applicable?

I need a concluding paragraph. Help please? Type your version below.
acrogirl5 1 / 7 1  
I'm not going to write your concluding paragraph for you, but you should specify why this issue is important to you, and truly take a stand on it. You say you believe that issues should be resolved without violence and guns shouldn't be the first solution. Great! I agree with you! But does this mean you think gun control laws should be more strict? I'm not really understanding your opinion on the topic.

Hope this helped!
OP lkj6778 1 / 2  
I made some changes to this essay below. Same prompt. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks

Home / Undergraduate / Why Gun Rights Are a Huge Problem In Society