Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Geography and Economics/Politics (UK Personal Statement)

ka19921 3 / 8  
I know it's long, but it would be great if someone could check for grammar. And if you have any other suggestions, please go ahead too

thanks a lot in advance

An old Icelandic tale tells the story of an magician who transformed himself into a whale to swim to the Island and put it under his spell but he was scared away when he found that the land threw fireballs at him.

Considering it's cold climate and high geological activity Iceland doesn't seem like the most convenient areas to live at first sight. But when my parents and I made a trip to the Island, I was amazed by how people used this, seemingly disadvantage, for their advantage by constructing Geothermal Power Plants or hydroelectric power stations that allow them to produce energy cheaper than anywhere else in the world. While this energy is barley sold to other countries, it makes Iceland an attractive place for companies with high energy use, which significantly contributed to the countrys economic growth.

This trip to Iceland has opened my eyes to the diverse challenges living in our environment provides. At the same time it has made me more aware of the immense opportunities that lie in those challenges.

The relationship between humans and the environment does not only effect economics but also a wide range of subject areas such as climate change, natural resources, urbanization or immigration politics

I had the chance to experience another totally different culture and environment when studied a semester abroad in Oromocto, a small town in Canada.
The whole experience of being on exchange in a foreign country has introduced me to variety of new perspectives and made me more confident. However one thing that was particularly great about going to high school in New Brunswick, was that I had the chance to take a French Immersion class. At first I found it to be very challenging but by the end of the year, I think I got a lot more out of it than of most classes I've taken so far, as it has made me more confident with using foreign languages, even though I may not be perfect at them yet.

Furthermore is being multilingual becoming increasingly more important in todays competitive and pluralistic society. Almost all problems that our society has to face can only be solved by strong international cooperation. Economics and politics of individual countries are more interdependent than ever, which makes studying those subjects along with Geography particularly interesting.

Last year I wrote a research paper about the game theory and even though it was just a brief introduction to the subject, I think the and research associated with helped me understand and value the processes that shape our society on a personal and global level, a lot more.

Right now I am taking one class that covers topics such as globalization, economic crisis, human rights or wealth distribution and that is English. We often analyze political speeches or read texts concerning those topics. One author that particular stood out for me was Jeffrey D. Sachs with his End of poverty, as it

Since last year I am helping out in our school library and am part of our grade committee for finances which has helped to improve my organizational and communication skills.

I also do rowing for almost 7 years now which has sparked my interest in the outdoors and fostered my appreciation of the environment.

Lastly, I want to go to University in the UK because of it's international reputation of academic excellence but also because of it's distinctive campus life that fairly uncommon for Universities in other European countries.

I'm passionate about studying geography at University level and look forward to deepen my knowledge of the subject, as well participating in other aspects of University life

Home / Undergraduate / Geography and Economics/Politics (UK Personal Statement)