My father is a photographer; Common App/Who had a significant influence

awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
I really need help on this essay, as it's too personal for me to show it to someone I know, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Prompt I chose: Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.

My father has initiated each of my passions by showing me the importance of all arts. For example, as he is a photographer, every time we see a movie together, he mentions to me the quality of the cinematography, and though I don't know anything about it, when I see a movie without him, I see myself paying attention to the lighting, to the framing and even to the focus, which has not only made me aware of the art of film, but also of my love of film. Similarly, my father always insisted we go to museums when I was younger, even though I would sometimes protest, and each time we would go, I was amazed by his knowledge of art, which has today shaped my interest in art and made me willingly want to go to museums. So I guess I can thank my father for having initiated my interests in such names as Samuel Fuller, Chaplin, Basquiat, Pollock or Dylan, as these are some of the people that have, though it might sound redundant, influenced me to want to become influential.

However, I really wonder how it's possible for someone so intelligent to sometimes be so cruel. My sister and I have become used to our parents fighting over the years, as it has somehow just become usual to us, yet when my parents fight and I feel I have to intervene, is when my father has said the worst things to me. As they are still very foreign to me, I don't know how to explain his actions and words. What I can explain though, or at least try to, is the change that occurs: I never know when he's going to start saying things or acting a certain way, as it sometimes just changes over night, and the words I hear one day are to be forgotten the next day. I don't know if my sister, my mother, or I will ever be able to truly forget them though. These words have in some way equally shaped my interests however, as I have discovered music is the best means to escape them, and though they are very painful, they are what has pushed me every day to try and defy my father in order to never hear them again.

It is thanks to him that I always try to do everything in the most intelligent way possible though I don't even know which way that is, and that I always think deeply before saying something though I realize this could be the cause of my shyness, all in order to prove myself to him. However, I think and I hope I will never succeed. Thus, it's really difficult now to understand if he has had a good or a bad influence on me, but I guess each person's influence on someone can never be entirely good nor entirely bad - I believe it is always a mix of both, just as in this case.
sticknstones - / 11 5  
My father has initiated each of my passions by showing me the importance of all arts. For example, as he is a photographer, every time we see a movie together, he mentions to me the quality of the cinematography, and though I don't know anything about it, when I see a movie without him, I see myself paying attention to the lighting, to the framing and even to the focus, which has not only made me aware of the art of film, but also of my love of film.(run on sentence)Similarly, my father always insisted we go to museums when I was younger, even though I would sometimes protest, and each time we would go, I was amazed by his knowledge of art, which has today shaped my interest in art and made me willingly want to go to museums.(run on sentence) So I guess I can thank my father for having initiated my interests in such names as Samuel Fuller, Chaplin, Basquiat, Pollock or Dylan, as these are some of the people that have, though it might sound redundant, influenced me to want to become influential.

However, I think and I hope I will never succeed. ---->> awkward sentence for me
bi123 2 / 10 2  
Hello,
So I didn't read your essay, but my english teacher has specified that writing about your mother or father wouldn't be a terribly excellent idea for this question.

Many, MANY people write about their parents and it can get really,,, generic.
Just putting it out there.
Suggestion: Why don't you write about someone you hate? or someone who has disappointed you or something? Then you can talk about what you learned! That would definately be a fresher essay for the admissions to read!

**Just putting it out there**
Hope I was some help^^
OP awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
I actually talked about the bad relationship I have with my dad, and how it has a bad influence but also good influence on me.

But I hope it's unique enough.. I don't want to be one of the many that talk about their parents :/
OP awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
Thank you! This helped a lot, do you think "establish" could replace initiate?

Home / Undergraduate / My father is a photographer; Common App/Who had a significant influence