'My father had been my inspiration' - Engineering Essay - UofT

anita123 3 / 6  
Please write a brief essay that answers the following questions.

What has inspired you to pursue an engineering degree and why would you like to study at the University of Toronto?
What skills have you developed through your extra-curricular experiences that will support your future success as both a student and an engineer?

My father is my primary inspiration to pursue an engineering degree. As the oldest sibling, I always helped my dad "DIY" from a young age. One day, my father brought me with him to change his car system. When my father and the technicians unscrewed the system taking it to pieces, my eyes were glued to the inner mechanics of the machine. Thin wires of different colors that all served different functions, gears turned in unending circles and the microchips. Such tiny pieces of technology, to which the tiniest touch could shut the entire system down. If such a tiny piece of technology could turn on something so loud; then surely an equally advanced technology could improve lives by installing an artificial leg, enabling a disadvantaged victim to walk again. Microchips - I was thrown by the infinite possibilities they represented. At this moment; my passion for engineering was sparked.

Throughout high school, I gained great exposure to the medical field. During my position in a dental office and my co-op at Princess Margaret Hospital, I realized this exposure begun my passion for chemistry, and more importantly, my determination to help people in need. In PMH, I had to hand-make special mouthwash. Seeing the contents mixed and swirled ignited my interest for chemistry; a science that studies the very basics of creations. I enjoyed the smiles of the patients at PMH as I delivered their medication expediently, reciprocating their appreciation with my own smile. I knew my future career would involve helping others; as reflected in my 1000+ volunteer hours I gained throughout high school. Physics came as second-nature. It helped me develop skills to think analytically and innovate solutions to problems with theories that were already familiar. I apply those skills to everything I do. A job, volunteering regularly, being part of yearbook committee, being an active badminton player and a heavy curriculum made my last high school year tough, but was well worth it. With skills I learned about problem solving in physics; I come out of high school not only with experiences that coached me into becoming a hard-worker, but also with teamwork, perseverance and a passion for problem solving that will aid my future career as an engineer.

To fulfill my goal and become a chemical engineer; I need to be offered the best knowledge and experience. University of Toronto is the optimal place for me to develop that knowledge and experience to become a successful engineer. With many dynamic clubs to join, diversity in the student body, and many broad degrees, I believe that the University of Toronto will best help me pursue my enthusiasm for engineering. Not only am I drawn to the university, located at the enterprising core of Toronto, but I am also drawn to its impressive history of 10 Nobel laureates, its experienced faculty and brilliant professors. Hence; I am assured that the University of Toronto is the perfect setting for me to pursue my passion in engineering.
Athena - / 83 3  
Hi, I liked your essay :)I just corrected a couple of things in the revised version.

....lives by installing an artificial leg, allowing a disadvantaged victim to produce a walk or runenabling a disadvantaged victim to walk or run .

As I progressed throughoutthrough high school,...

I apply those skillskills ...

Have a great day!
Cheers

Home / Undergraduate / 'My father had been my inspiration' - Engineering Essay - UofT