Evaluation of SOP for MS in Computer Science

apoorva_reddy91 1 / - 1  
Please kindly throw some light on this SOP and give suggestions if any.. Thanks in advance.

Name : Apoorva Reddy Sambidi
Program : M.S in computer science (Fall 2013)

Life has always been a smooth flowing brook with small dashes here and there. It has certainly reached a critical juncture when I have to decide where to turn and what to do next and my idea of career can be best quoted by this saying of the greatest living people

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."

These words have always been a key point behind my career. It has helped me frame my targets and reach the goals of my career so far. I have been blessed to have parents who instilled me with good values and principles since my childhood. They have supported me in accomplishing the goals I have set forth.

I have always been driven by an urge to know the how and why of things, often letting curiosity gets the better of me. In a world where everything from fighter jets to elevators, interactive graphic displays to digital watches, is driven by computers, I was enthralled by the technology involved.

Without the existence of computers the day wouldn't start for the humans. In a very short period it has changed the way we have looked at things. It is the legacy of computer industry which will be continued throughout the centuries. Hence, my desire is to do Masters in Computer Science. I am of firm conviction that suitable opportunity to pursue graduate studies will help in my endeavor towards realizing my goal, paving the path for self-actualization.

My interest in computers dates back to the early days of my high school when I took part in a seminar related to computers. I was then really fascinated by the complexities of different structures and their working. The interest and fascination has evolved into a determination to study the subject deeply and to do some valuable research in the field.

I can see myself as an inquisitive child, born to a middle-class family of ordinary educational and cultural background. My father inculcated in me the seeds of logical thinking and intriguing ideas. Quite conceivably, much before formally joining school, I developed a flair for technology.

I did my schooling from Brilliant Grammar High School in the idyllic atmosphere of which I gradually flourished as a versatile person. During my schooling I was the House Captain for one of the Houses. Then I joined Sri Chaitanya Junior College, where I secured 93.8% in the higher secondary exam.

The field of Computer Science Engineering has always fascinated me. My interest started developing in the early stage of my life, when I studied about the invention of computer, moreover about its large size. The transformation from the large size computer to small palmtop enticed me to know about the factors that are responsible for making computer.

Therefore my quest to attain knowledge landed me up in Vignana Bharathi Institute of Engineering and Technology where I took Computer Science and Engineering. Here I got the opportunity to study about computer sciences at a great depth. My keen interest in this direction was another positive point, which gave me an edge above other students. I excelled with first division and I also got Merit Certificate for the two times for my excellence in academics. As a student member of various forums in my College, I have been actively associated with various workshops and seminars. I also had the opportunity to attend and volunteer for the workshops on the topics such as "Adobe Flex", "Advanced Network Programming" and "Web Designing" held at my college.

The exhaustive nature of undergraduate studies at Vignana Bharathi Institute of Engineering and Technology helped me develop a sound foundation in all the major areas of Computer Science and Engineering as my discipline in Under graduation. My undergraduate curriculum includes Software Engineering, Distributed Data bases, Computer Organization, Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Computer Networks, Network Programming, Data Base Management Systems. On the other hand, the intensive laboratory classes exposed me to a fascinating world of experimentation. It was here that I discovered the qualities of perseverance and diligence in myself. I feel that these courses have done a lot to prepare me for my future studies and research work.

From what I have read about the University and the discussions I had with my professors and seniors, I have gathered that the research facilities and excellent faculty here would provide me with a vibrant and friendly atmosphere where I can enhance my creative abilities and contribute enormously to industry. It would be a privilege to be a part of your esteemed department. I assure you that I will be an asset to the University. Considering my excellence in academics, commitment towards work and unwavering dedication, I sincerely hope that my application for admission with full financial aid will be considered favorably.
These words have always been a key point behindmy career. It has helped me frame my targets and reach the goals of my career so far.

... "my career" sounds slight repetition. Well, I suggest;
These words have always inspired me and guided me to frame my targets and reach the goals of my career. ... I just left it at the level of "my career" without referring to a particular time period.

I have been blessed to have parents who instilled me with good values and principles since my childhood. They have supported me in accomplishing the goals I have set forth.

.... I think you should condense this to one sentence; yep... I feel it is better that way;
Further, I am very grateful to my parents' continuous support and guidance that helped me accomplish the goals I have set forth.
However, up to this point you have not told them what your goals are. I feel it is better to mention them at the beginning itself so that selectors' minds would be set to follow your writing as to judge how you are going to pursue your goals.

Home / Undergraduate / Evaluation of SOP for MS in Computer Science