Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

I really enjoyed what I did; FIT(fashion merchandising)

saemilee517 3 / -  
Applicant :
Date of Birth :
Statement of Purpose

Grown ups (Now I am one of them) often say that teenage years are the most beautiful moment of one's life and I want to look back on my teenage years.

I was not like other ordinary students who rush to extra-curricular studies or meet friends because I worked as a part timer. I really enjoyed what I did. If someone had made me work instead of hanging out with friends, I would have never done so. I never knew, at that moment, how happy it was just to keep myself busy everyday. Dong Dae Moon fashion market in Seoul, Korea where I was working was famous for small retailers and warehouses. It is the hub and beginning of the fashion industry in Korea. Many Asians come for shopping and it has become a trademark of Korean fashion among many Asian countries. These days, online shopping is extremely booming in Korea. However when I was 18 years old, the only way to shop for clothes was to visit each shop in the fashion market on one's own. At that time I was a girl who was interested in watching passersby's fashion and trends of Designers', so I could recognize the trend which could be applied to the real-life fashion. I carried fashion magazines with me such as Vogue, Elle, and Bazaar on which I spent most of my allowance to see how the designer's products match with the place and environment. Such an interest was as natural as others' interest in music. I thought of myself as a lucky girl because it was not easy to get a job in Dong Dae Moon Fashion market.

The first day I started my job, my boss felt uncomfortable about hiring such a young person like me. For this reason, I was never tardy or absent for three years while I was working. I also tried to show my enthusiasm for fashion and work. My duty was researching monthly magazines on the first day of their edition and predicting the new season's fashion trend and purchasing clothing items.

Personally, I was really interested in changing the display and guessing out the reason for the best selling date. After a year passed, I was acknowledged and trusted by my boss for my sincere effort at work. And eventually the boss gave an entire control of the shop to me. As a result, apparently it was not just a part time job for me anymore.

On the other hand, the dream of having my own shop led me to concentrate less on my study in school. Therefore I left high school and started home schooling for GED. Although my parents were anxious about me, they trusted me and they understood how zealous I was to achieve my dream and pursue my goal of life. Therefore I promised my parents that I would acquire good GED scores as soon as possible. Then, when I was 20 years old, I finally passed the GED test. While my parents hoped that I would attend university, I decided to work in the branch of Louis Vuitton at Avenuel Store in Korea to have more experience in fashion merchandising management; marketing or retail merchandising. While working there, I realized that would I need more technical knowledge in fashion marketing and English in order to get a higher position.

Therefore, with my desire for in-depth knowledge in the field of fashion, I searched the Internet and found a perfect school for fashion marketing for me, FIT. I knew at the moment I found FIT that it is the perfect place for me to learn the high fashion of New York.

As soon as my decision was made, I started to clip out information about FIT, and displayed it on my wall and Face book and began studying TOEFL. Whenever I lost my strength in achieving my dream or when I failed to get satisfactory scores of TOEFL, I imagined myself studying in FIT. I believe that imagination is the power of life and I knew my dream will come true in the future as long as I believe in myself and keep moving forward.

After graduating from the school, I want to work for an international company for my career and launch my own shop some day as well as establishing a professional fashion school in Korea. Right now, all I see is FIT.

Home / Undergraduate / I really enjoyed what I did; FIT(fashion merchandising)