'Energy is the basis' - M.Sc. Petroleum Engineering

oladapo 3 / 6  
Please I need advice on an SOP on petroleum engr, I do not have any experience on pet engr but I believe with my undergraduate study in Mech engr, I can handle it. Do help review... It goes thus...

Energy is the basis of the industrial age; modern civilization depends mainly on petroleum and its' products to provide this energy. The global impact of the changes in supply and demand of oil on world economies emphasises the importance of this resource. However, the petroleum industry at this time faces its' greatest challenges.

Gas flaring and oil spillage are significant challenges in the petroleum industry that affect the sustainability of the environment and this has raised major issues in the world diplomacy. Though the act of gas flaring can be harnessed and put into judicious use in the creation of energy, most developing countries either do not have the required facilities to carry out the control or they are oblivious of the fact that flared gas can be put to such usage. Oil spillage has also been a subject of controversy between oil-producing companies and countries where-in the exploration is been carried out, and this has caused major losses for the companies. These challenges triggered my desire to further my graduate studies in petroleum engineering. My choice of petroleum engineering borne out of the fact that it is the study that can give me an in-depth knowledge of the subject, in order to handle the challenges stated above.

My undergraduate years have imbued me with the knowledge of fluid mechanics, viscous flow theory, heat and mass transfer, energy sources and utilization, numerical methods, and compressible flow, which I believe are background topics that can further boost my understanding and assimilation of petroleum engineering as a subject. With my ability to learn and comprehend very fast, the desire to improve my immediate environ coupled with the world, and my resolve to ameliorate my intelligence prowess, graduate study in petroleum engineering will be a challenge easily accomplished.

The experience I have gathered through internship with a bulldozer firm has been of immense contribution to my further understanding of the principles of fluid mechanics and viscous flow theory. The manner in which lube oil flows under pressure through the transmission unit in order to lubricate and also enhance the changing of gears elaborates the practical use of fluid mechanics in the real world. So also is the manner in which this lube oil flows through the hydraulic arm of the bulldozer in order to carry out excavation or clearing of a piece of land in which case if there is a drop in pressure, the arm of the bulldozer will not lift and hence hinder the job at hand. This shows the importance of pressure in the principles of fluid mechanics. My present job placement in a university maintenance section has improved my knowledge in the aspect of flow in pipeline. Here I carry out the production and distribution of water to all parts of the institution. The production stage is the most interesting part, where we make use of lime and chlorine. The lime is applied to the water that is pumped from the borehole to an aeration tank. In this aeration tank, the atmospheric air reacts with this lime and water which reduces the ferric properties of the water and also coagulate the particles that may surface in the water. The treated water is then transferred through chlorination cum filter tank, where chlorine is added from a dosage tank, to a surface reservoir. From this surface reservoir the water is then transferred to an overhead tank which in turn is distributed to all parts of the institution where water is required. The law of Bernoulli was put to practice here and the aspect of pressure changes at bends and contractions was better understood. This law I believe will be of tremendous help in understanding the transportation/flow of natural gas in pipes.

Aside the engineering experience I acquired, both my managerial and negotiation skills have been greatly enhanced, and also my ability to handle multiple task as compared to while I was running my undergraduate studies. My love for chess has greatly improved my thinking capacity, strategizing and planning ahead. I have a responsibility in making the world around me a better place, hence necessitating improvement on my intelligence prowess. A graduate study in Petroleum Engineering, specializing in area of natural gas engineering is a step towards achieving this objective.
Energy is the basis of the industrial age, and modern civilization depends mainly on petroleum and its' products, to provide this energy.

Gas flaring and oil spillage are significant challenges in the petroleum industry, which affect the sustainability of the environment and this has raised major issues in the world diplomacy.

Though the act(problem?) of gas flaring can be harnessed and put into judicious use in the creation of energy, most developing countries either do not have the required facilities to carry out the control or they are oblivious to the fact that flared gas can be put to such usage.

With my ability to learn and comprehend quickly , the desire to improve my immediate environ coupled with the world, and ...

The experience I've gathered through internship with a bulldozer firm has been of immense contribution to my further understanding of the principles of fluid mechanics and viscous flow theory.

The law of Bernoulli was put into practice here and the aspect of pressure changes at bends and contractions was better understood.

This law, I believe, will be of tremendous help in understanding the transportation/flow of natural gas in pipes.

They'll be lucky to have you as a student! Good luck with school!

:)
Gas flaring and oil spillage are significant challenges in the petroleum industry, which affect the sustainability of the environment, and this has raised major issues in the world relations.

Though the problem of gas flaring can be harnessed and put into judicious use in the creation of energy, but most developing countries do not have the required facilities to carry out the control.

My choice of studying petroleum engineering is borne out of my zeal to contribute my quota towards the correction of the vices mentioned above.

My quick comprehension, my desire to improve my generation, and my resolve to continually develop my intellectual capacity, will make graduate study in petroleum engineering a challenge easily accomplished.---Great sentence!

Production engineering, an aspect of petroleum engineering, is a major topic that deals with the issues mentioned above, and this is the area in which I intend to carry out my research.

Great essay! Good luck with school!

:)
OP oladapo 3 / 6  
Thank you Susan. I am most grateful

Home / Undergraduate / 'Energy is the basis' - M.Sc. Petroleum Engineering