I am drawn to international economics; UPenn App/ Engaging academically @ Upenn

mzontario 9 / 43  
Penn education provides a liberal arts and sciences foundation across multiple disciplines with a practical emphasis in one of four undergraduate schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of Nursing, or the Wharton School.

Given the undergraduate school to which you are applying, please discuss how you will engage academically at Penn. (300 words)

I see no limits in the academic opportunities ahead of me at the Wharton School. At Wharton, the wide-ranging selection of courses investigates every crevice of business and its multi-faceted undergraduate curriculum allows me to explore the academic interests of my choice. As an immigrant, I am drawn to international economics, specifically the rapid expansion of economy in China, my native country. I hope to conduct research, for example, to examine potential correlation between the surge in middle class wealth in China and the one-child policy. Valuable facilities such as the Penn Institute for Economic Research will accommodate and foster these aspirations.

Leadership is a critical component for success not only in the workplace, but in life. Through Wharton Leadership Ventures, Management 100, and the Undergraduate Leadership Forum, I can flourish with likeminded students beyond business related projects and truly learn the meaning of leadership, communication, and trust through unconventional experiences like whitewater rafting and hiking expeditions. At Wharton, I can step outside my comfort zone and continue to develop as a leader, and as a person.

Most importantly, the education I gain at Wharton is not limited to a future in business. The skills to network, collaborate with others, and manage a team are applicable in any career aspiration. As someone interested in pursuing a MBA or attending law school, Wharton's flexible education prepares me for both.

Overall, Wharton is an institution where I can flourish with students and faculty alike who are equally passionate about making an impact. By exposing myself to a full spectrum of available resources, the Wharton undergraduate program will improve my analytical capacity and literacy in business, as well as prepare me for a career in international business through an intellectual and dynamic environment.
jaegoogle 4 / 8 3  
Your essay explains your academic engagement at Wharton strongly. However, it seems generic because there is less about how you'll contribute to Wharton and society. For example, in what ways will you develop leadership as you pursue your goals in life? Or, what makes you stand out among a pool of Wharton applicants?

Home / Undergraduate / I am drawn to international economics; UPenn App/ Engaging academically @ Upenn