Decisions are the bane of my existence; William & Mary - Unique & Colorful

cloudw_tcher 1 / 2  
Prompt: Beyond your impressive academic credentials and extracurricular accomplishments, what else makes you unique and colorful? We know nobody fits neatly into 500 words or less, but you can provide us with some suggestion of the type of person you are. Anything goes! Inspire us, impress us, or just make us laugh. Think of this optional opportunity as show and tell by proxy and with an attitude. (are they saying that i can be sassy...?)

Anyways here's my essay. I appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Decisions are the bane of my existence. They are also why I exist. Decisions were made that allowed me to come into this world. Whether if that was a wise decision or not, who knows? Nonetheless, decisions tear my brain apart and form a chasm between my thoughts that ignites a civil war inside my skull.

I have an open mind. I like to visualize different perspectives as I sit by the car window, watching everyone move about their daily lives. Though this means that I have a lot of thoughts. These thoughts often conflict. At the Cheesecake Factory I mull over whether I should get a Mexican-themed cheeseburger or jambalaya. I do so love the thick flavors of jambalaya, yet I am in the mood for something with avocado - the succulent butter of life. At home I try to decide which activity to do first. Do I write blogs or do I finish up artwork for birthdays? Birthdays are important, yet the world is counting on me to publish some food for thought. When I think about my future I plan on the places that I would go and the death-defying acts I would like to do. To go skydiving with a stuffed, bionic rabbit named Seb or to cross the walk of faith 4,960 feet in the air while also sightseeing in China? Alas there are too many options, choosing becomes anxiety-inducing. There is not enough time in this world to satisfy all my wants and yearnings.

These questions of choice seem frivolous, but decision making plays a much larger part in life. They dictate your actions, your consequences, and your future. So how does one go about this? This decision making? I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do know a bit about what to do when in a decision crisis. I sit down and I cry. No, that never helps. What I do is I create a list of pros and cons. When in a tight situation I must do this quickly. I list them out, often thinking out loud. I generally put more weight on the cons than the pros, for cons make a bigger difference. If you choose something bad, people notice it more. If you choose something good, you get a tiny bit of recognition. I often use this system to set my priorities. I also ask for a plethora of opinions, because pleasing as many people as possible is usually good. This, I believe, can make me a good leader. It can make me a good student, it can make me a good sister, it can make me a good daughter, and it can make me a good friend to all.

Life is about decisions. Very carefully and well thought out decisions. Making the wrong one could lead to certain death. Making the right one could lead to glory. Now for the ultimate decision: Do I send in this essay? Or one of my other ones?

Thank you~!
alextloft28 4 / 15 1  
this esssay is very good, if i had to describe it I would ssay it is very scatterd and rambunxious. does that describe your personality?

Home / Undergraduate / Decisions are the bane of my existence; William & Mary - Unique & Colorful