curriculum-Economics, Neuropsychology& Chinese studies; Why Transfer?

lauman112233 5 / 14  
I was attracted to the focus of the educational system in the United States in both its breadth and depth. In my current college, however, the depth of major study is lacking. Offers of high-level and specialized courses are limited. The two economics classes I have taken focused on theories; real-life applications and discussions seldom took place. Although I got perfect scores in both classes, I felt like I was back in Hong Kong, where applying is the last thing of concern; I am equipped by the finest gun yet do not know how to fire.

After completing a case study on Foxconn's suicide incident for the research experience, I realized the large impact of a country's economic structure and policies on all industry. Since then, I was eager to learn specifically about China's economy as my career goal is to work, and eventually run my own business in China; however, my college does not offer studies that specialize in China's economy and policy. There is also no interdisciplinary course that relates economics to other disciplines. I am worried that my college is not able to satisfy my interest in economics nor can it prepare me for my career with strong, specialized analytical skills in economics. Through the research experience, I also discovered the lack of career opportunities in my college. As a small private college located in Reading, research funding and economics-related internships are highly limited. I afforded the travel expenses myself to Shenzhen in order to conduct a field study. My access to books and journals was also limited due to the small school library and material funding; my case study was therefore restricted in depth. Transferring to a university in a better location allows me to gain more access to resources and conduct research on a larger scale in order to expand and apply my knowledge.

Also inspired by the case study, I was interested in the role of our brains in decision-making, the keystone of economics. I realized economics could be viewed in both social and biological perspective. In my college, however, courses are limited in number and flexibility. There are no courses about neuroscience or biopsychology. As a non-biology major, I was not even allowed to take biology due to lack of seats in laboratories. Through transferring to another university, I hope not only to study in different disciplines, but also to connect different disciplines with economics in order to enrich my major study.

I realized that the curriculum of my college, in which generalizing knowledge is emphasized, is not the best fit for a pragmatic person like me. I am eager for opportunities to apply my knowledge and skills. By transferring to a bigger university, I hope to gain access to a curriculum that allows me to connect economics, neuropsychology, and Chinese studies; equips me with both theories and analytical skills; and prepares me for my future career by offering more opportunities and resources.
I was attracted to the focus of the educational system in the United States in both its breadth and depth.

.... I feel this has not come properly :(
How did you come to know about the US education system? It's better to have some reference from where you learned about the US system because that would make your claim more convincing and reasonable. It's always better to support your claims with facts and examples rather than making statements

In my current college, however, the depth of major study is lacking.

... what's your major? this lines looks too abrupt.

The two economics classes I have taken focused on theories; real-life applications and discussions seldom took place.

In my current school, the focus on theory is more while less prominence is given to real life applications.
OP lauman112233 5 / 14  
Thank you so much! The advices are real helpful!
kabal 9 / 61  
This is a really good essay. but i think you can be specific in identifying what facilities you hope to utilize.

my college does not offer studies that specialize in China's economy and policy. Are you sure the school you are applying to offer courses on china's economy

Through the research experience, I also discovered the lack of career opportunities in my college. As a small private college located in Reading, research funding and economics-related internships are highly limited The first part of the statement means you had research experience. Why do you say research funding is limited? explain more.

Home / Undergraduate / curriculum-Economics, Neuropsychology& Chinese studies; Why Transfer?