Columbia supplement question- Do I answer the question or is it too vague?

garmin610 4 / 8 2  
I blame my ineptitude as a handyman on my mother, who decided to follow the unconventional route and teach me basic home repairs as a child. Learning to change a tire was a prerequisite to getting my license and if I came running that the toilet was clogged, my mother would sigh in disappointment, wondering where she had gone wrong. I would then be forced to observe, in the hope that osmosis would occur, as she skillfully moved her hands and the problem magically resolved itself.

Hiring a contractor to redo our hardwood floors was completely unnecessary. We lugged boxes of paneled flooring home from Sam's Clubs, laid down the insulation and started hammering. It was a reprieve from the scorching summer heat as I measured and calculated, typing numbers into my calculator faster than my mother could saw the panels down to size. The floor became a life-sized puzzle of ingenuity and cunning skill as I manipulated the boards, measured right angles and 60° angles and then crossed out my work and restarted.

I don't pretend to be a professional. There are gaps in the floor and places the panels have begun to buckle. But this floor is my sanctuary. It is the product of my mind doing what I love most: configuring and constructing, building and repairing. I have lost all apprehension for the conglomeration of home improvement projects that now define my house because I have learned to incorporate my passion for science into the small opportunities I find before me. The formulas for calculus and physics may be the same ones I used on my hardwood floor, but I hope to put those formulas to use beyond my floor so I can help build the foundation of medical research and lifesaving treatment.
You are asking us to determine if your response to the prompt question is appropriate or vague. I would gladly give your question an answer based upon a review of your essay. The only thing that is holding me back from delivering my response is the fact that you have not provided a copy of the question alongside your essay for our consideration. I am not sure how we can judge the relevance of your essay in this instance. Please provide the guide question so that a proper assessment of your work can be done.

Overall though, the essay delivers an idea as to how you managed to train yourself for your future study difficulties in your field of choice. I am not sure how and why blaming your mother for your failures to accomplish certain things in your life relates to the prompt requirement though. It would seem to me that she was only trying to make sure that you were prepared for any problems that life might throw your way. Maybe the prompt question will hold the response to that. I'll wait for the question then offer a more comprehensive review of the strong and flawed points of your essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia supplement question- Do I answer the question or is it too vague?