Chapter in Geography - expanding MIT essay. Critique and commentary.

Gervin101 2 / 7 1  
Tell us about the most significant challenge you've faced or something important that didn't go according to plan. How did you manage the situation? (*) (200-250 words)

In my sophomore year, I was completing a test over the chapter in Geography. Afterwards, the teacher talked with me privately, stating he was going to give me a zero on the test for talking during the test. This was a shock to me as I was certain I did not talk during the test, and my stubborn self did not wish to make amends with the teacher. While obstinacy may be useful in some circumstances, this was not one of those circumstances. My academic record was flawless up until this point, and my own pride was holding me back from continuing this feat. I overcame myself and spoke with my teacher, attempting to find a compromise. We had reached an agreement; I would prepare and perform a presentation over a country's culture and geography for my classmates. I did exactly that and made amends with my teacher and my report card, restoring my grade. This experience taught me how necessary humility and diplomacy is to succeeding in life, as I am sure many other trials and upheavals will require the same.

The essay is 182 words and the minimum is 200. This has been by far the most difficult essay for me to write and I am out of ideas. Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
garmin610 4 / 8 2  
It's difficult because you chose a bad topic. Write about something you feel passionate about or had to fight for. They can tell from your transcripts and GPA whether you're a good student; they don't need this. Good luck.
OP Gervin101 2 / 7 1  
As for the things I'm passionate about, I've already pretty much covered in other essays. Would the challenges I faced as my parents founded a school and we moved into the building suffice as a challenge? I might be able to come up with something along those lines. Any thoughts?

Home / Undergraduate / Chapter in Geography - expanding MIT essay. Critique and commentary.