Caltech Humor Prompt

Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
I can't think of a good way to conclude this and I feel like I just kinda drop it. Any suggestions/improvements are greatly appreciated.

Caltech students have long been known for their quirky sense of humor and creative pranks and for finding unusual ways to have fun. What is something that you find fun or humorous?

We sit in one of the quiet rooms on the right side of the library. Two guys, Niki and Cary on one side, and two girls, Marley and I sit on the other side of the table which is littered with electronics. Four laptops, three iPod touches, an iPod 5th generation, four cell phones, and countless cords run wild. Although we are each working on something different, browsing Facebook, writing an essay, looking at Stumble Upon, and playing World of War Craft, we all share a similar theme: a love for technology. The silence ensues for minutes until finally Cary stands up and announces that he'll "be right back." As soon as the door shuts, we all jump up and gather around his computer. Niki quickly creates a batch file on his laptop that continually starts Notepad.exe, while I create a phone alarm event. Marley quickly grabs Cary's iPod, changes the background, and creates a new song playlist from only Pokémon songs. Once accomplished, we all sit back down in our respective seats before he returns. As if in perfect harmony, he walks in, sits down, and puts on his headphones. After approximately ten seconds of confusion as to what he's listening to, his phone rings to alert him that today is "National Hat Day". He finally starts to catch on when he discovers his computer has roughly fifty instances of Notepad open. We all return awkward glances before bursting into laughter.
marycornell 2 / 19  
I really didn't know where you were going with it until the end.
I think you should explain why it's funny or explain the inside joke.
I also think that you can make it sound much more humorous. :D
Good luck!

Please read mine when you can!
Punpunpun 1 / 6  
I'm a nerd and I didn't get the hat day reference.

Also this seems artificial and disingenuous. Write about something you think is funny and don't worry about impressing Caltech with your love of technology.
Logical_Fella_C - / 33  
Uh... I gotta disagree with Punpunpun that it sounds all that "artificial and disengenuous." Okay, this maybe.

we all share a similar theme: a love for technology.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

I don't really think you need to explicate all the details.

The end is just fine.
The lead-up is a tad too long though.

Home / Undergraduate / Caltech Humor Prompt