'My body and world around me' - Stanford Essay: Intellectual vitality

sailorb111 3 / 9  
"I cried once a week"..."She gives you so much homework, I never slept!"..."That class was the death of me." Walking into my first day of class, my mind was swarming with nervous thoughts of how I was going to survive this term of AP Biology. The actual subject of biology was hardly a topic within my racing thoughts. To my astonishment, I walked out of class with a smile!

Over the summer, I was assigned to read Survival of the Sickest and answer questions in preparation for the class. Not only did I complete this assignment early, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the entire book, which is usually a rare occasion due to the fact that I strongly dislike being forced to read books over the summer; I much rather like reading at my own free will. It fascinated me, the way nature has affected humans throughout our entire existence. I was surprised repeatedly and engrossed in the stories and facts behind the relation to diabetes and the Ice age, as well as other strange connections.

My teacher, who I had envisioned as a cold, scary women, turned out to be a cheerful, humorous, and also very helpful women who I greatly look up to. I look forward to the lessons she puts together and AP Biology is now the highlight of my day. She made learning biology intriguingly fun with the help of biology raps she found on YouTube, produced by Stanford Biology majors. This was the first time I had really noticed Stanford as a possibility for my future education. Now I know it is the only college for me: its students made me fall in love with biology even more.

Having completed a full two terms of this class, I am now more aware of the world surrounding me and the processes taking place within my body right now. At the beginning of the year, people questioned my intentions in college, and to this I had no response. Now I can confidently say I plan to further study biology at Stanford and proceed into the medical field upon graduation.

i know it needs work! so help me and i'll help you :)
anshikav 4 / 19  
The second paragraph about the summer reading needs to flow better with the rest of it. Right now it seems out of place.
I love the beginning though!

Home / Undergraduate / 'My body and world around me' - Stanford Essay: Intellectual vitality