Biomedical engineering - Why engineering? Why Duke?

ndgranberry 1 / 2  
When I view the world, I see things that I believe could be better. I'm forced to ask, "Why does this work this way? Why can't you just do this? Wouldn't it fix everything if you just moved this over here? What is the best way to make this work?" Unfortunately these are usually complex questions with even more complex answers. I think the field of biomedical engineering is primed for huge leaps and bounds in our understanding and incredible innovations will soon follow. I want to be a part of this.

My specific intrigue in the biomedical field is prosthetics. Replacing human organs and limbs is an exciting and gratifying endeavor. Specifically I want to go into the government research on prosthetics to help improve the lives of wounded veterans. Again you are presented with many questions, my favorite being: "How do you get the mind and the machine to communicate effectively?" This is such an intriguing question to me; a question that I hope to spend my college career researching. If this problem is solved tomorrow, no problem, anytime there is an advance in a field it opens up hundreds of new questions about how to make the invention more efficient, compact, reliable, and user friendly. That is why I want to be a biomedical engineer. There will never be an end to the contributions you can make to help people.

There aren't many who would question that Duke is the best biomedical engineering program in the South. To me, that had little relevance in choosing the Pratt School of Engineering. Duke gives me the opportunity, resources, and -most importantly- the mentorship to make progress in answering the questions that I have. Few others have undergraduate research opportunities that are as well orchestrated and are as encouraged as Duke University. Also very important to me is the opportunity to double major in biomedical engineering along with mechanical or electrical engineering so as to focus the multidisciplinary aspect of biomedical engineering into a specific engineering while still getting the background of all disciplines. These reasons along with the atmosphere and the hundreds of opportunities to get involved around campus are why I chose Duke as my first choice school.

Through sentences out, add whatever, make synonym changes, do what you think sounds best! I have plenty of time to make changes before this is due. Thanks!
maggiek3 1 / 2  
Overall, I think it's really good. You explained why you are interested in engineering and gave examples of what you would like to do within that discipline. I think there needs to be a little more depth in the why you chose Duke portion...but I think you definitely have a good start here.

Hope this helps!

When I view the world, I see things that I believe could be better. I'm forced to ask, "Why does this work this way? Why can't you just do this? Wouldn't it fix everything if you just moved this over here? What is the best way to make this work?" Unfortunately these are very simple questions with very complex answers. (anybody can ask "why?" that is a simple question, but obviously, in engineering, the answers are complex. Maybe here you can add a sentence or two describing your desire to be a part of finding those complex answers, then lead into how biomedical engineering is a growing field that you are interested in) I think the field of biomedical engineering is primed for huge leaps and bounds in our understanding and incredible innovations will soon follow. I want to be a part of this.

My specific intrigue in the biomedical field is prosthetics . The area of biomedical engineering that is most intriguing to me is prosthetics. Replacing human organs and limbs with a non-living object is an exciting and gratifying endeavor. Specifically, I want to go into thebe involved in government research projects on prosthetics to help improve the lives of wounded veterans. Again youIn this field, engineers are presented with many questions, my favoritethe most prominent being : "How do you get the mind and the machine to communicate effectively?" This is such an intriguing question to me; a question that I hope to spend my college career researchingtrying to answer it.IfWhile this problem is may be solved tomorrow, no problem,I feel that anytime there is an advancement in a field, it opens up hundreds of new questions about how to make the invention more efficient, compact, reliable, and user friendly. ThatThis is why I want to be a biomedical engineer. There will never be an end to the contributions you can make towards helping people.

There aren't many who would question that Duke is the best biomedical engineering program in the South. To me, that had little relevance inI chosechoosing the Pratt School of Engineering (because of x, y, and z. Pick out a few specific aspects of the school that you liked, i.e. the faculty has advanced degrees, the school provides tutoring services, etc. This essay is about you, not the opinions of others.) Duke gives me the opportunity, resources, and most importantly, the mentorship to make progress in answering the questions that I have. Few othersschools have undergraduate research opportunities that are as well orchestrated and are as encouraged as Duke University. Also very important to me is the opportunity to double major in biomedical engineering along with mechanical or electrical engineering so as to focus the multidisciplinary aspect of biomedical engineering into a specific engineering while still getting the background of all disciplines. These reasons, along with the atmosphere and the hundreds of opportunities to get involved around campus, are why I chose Duke asis my first choice school.

Home / Undergraduate / Biomedical engineering - Why engineering? Why Duke?