what was the biggest change in you life? My Journey

fatima1995 1 / -  
what was the biggest change in you life?
My Journey
I can still remember the biggest change of my life as if it was yesterday. I was just 7 years old when we was told we got our visa to the United States. On February 2, 2001 we made our way to the airport. At that time I did not realize what I was leaving behind and how I was not going to see my family and everyone and everything I have grown to know was going to change. I remember the airplane arriving to the United States and all I saw was the lights and how bright and different everything looked. That is when I realized the changes that were getting ready to happen in my life. Everything about me was different from others. From the way I talked, the way I dressed, my lifestyle, the food I was used to eating, and even my hairstyles. Elementary school was not a good experience I can remember being made fun of, for my accent and the way I dressed. From then on I told myself it would never happen again. I desired to fit in with the crowd so bad. I felt lonely, I felt as if there was no one that could understand what I was going through .I mean my parents couldn't possibly understand. In the midst of trying to fit in I lost myself. I forgot the fact that my parents brought me and my sisters here for a better education, and a better life, but instead my grades were bad and I was getting in trouble. My life had changed and I didn't know how to adjust to it. Through my ups and downs I found hope in my loved ones and my family. I saw how hard my parents worked and how they wanted us to have a better life. I wanted to make them proud. I didn't find myself until my tenth grade year. I was inspired to want to go to college, I wanted to be successful. I started bring my grades up and participating in clubs and activities, I became myself no matter who was around. I found happiness. I have learned from my mistakes and turned them into life experiences. I'm now open to share my journey with anyone. I did not have anyone to talk and if I can make a difference to one person with my experience then I'm satisfied. When I reminisce about where I came from it motivates me to aim high and reach for the impossible
I can still remember the biggest change of my life as if it was yesterday

I can still remember the biggest change in my life as if it happened almost yesterday.

I was just 7 years old when we was told we gotget our visa to the United States.

we were/ I was
I was only seven years old when we were told to obtain our visas to enter into the USA.

At that time I did not realize what I was leaving behind and how I was not going to see my family and everyone and everything I have grown to know was going to change.

At that time I had no clue about what I was going to leave behind and how I would be missing my extended families with who I did grow ... I guess you migrated to the USA with your immediate family

Home / Undergraduate / what was the biggest change in you life? My Journey