What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Why is it important?

2015senior 2 / 2 1  
This is my revised essay. Any criticism is welcomed! I just need this to be the perfect essay. Thanks!

Do not care what others think and do what makes you happy. There it is, the most outstanding piece of advice I have ever received. At one point or another, every single person is asked the same question. What do you want to be when you grow up? Where do you see yourself ten years down the road? The question comes in many forms, but the basis is the same. On the outside it is a quite simplistic question, however it goes much deeper than that. When some people answer that question, their answers are disregarded. They are ignored because their answer did not satisfy the other person. However, I have been lucky in the fact that my parents and everybody else in my life has supported me and encouraged me to go wherever I wanted to go in life. I have always been told to do what makes me happy.

Nevertheless, if it was the other way around and I did not have as much support as I do now, I can only imagine that I would still be determined to do what makes me happy. There comes a point where one has to tell themselves to stop caring what other people think. That is the most substantial lesson I have learned in high school. In the past, I only concentrated on how other people perceived me. I was so concerned with how everyone else thought of me that I was not doing what made me happy, I was doing what pleased them. In return, I was miserable. When my mom told me one day not to worry what others thought, it stuck with me. I started doing things my way and stopped caring about the others' scrutiny. I soon came to the realization that I was much happier.

Although there are instances when it is important to care what other people think of you, for example, a boss at work or a college admissions officer, for the most part it is important to do what makes you happy. It is as simple as that. It may be more easily said than done, but it is a crucial lesson to learn and an important principle to live by. Once I took my mother's advice and stopped focusing on what others thought of me, I was finally happy.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
There itThis is (remove comma) the most outstanding piece of advice I have ever received.

There it is, the most outstanding piece of advice I have ever received. At one point or another, every single person is asked the same question.

Well, I find a poor connection between these two sentences :( It is good if you have established a better link between the two ideas :)
On the outsidesurface it issounds like a quite simplisticsimple question, however it goes much deeper than that.

Home / Undergraduate / What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Why is it important?