'aspirations of being a lawyer' - This is a free write admission essay for Bethune

janaylloyd09 4 / 9  
It's unbelievable how each year, ever since I began high school, what appeared to be my perfectly laid plans for my future have deteriorated beyond my control. For as long as I can remember, I had aspirations of being a lawyer; I made it priority to enroll in all the law-related courses that my school offered. As I am now entering my senior year of high school, I seem to be totally oblivious to what I really want to major in.

As I look back on it now, I realize that I cannot become the lawyer that I once desired to be. It became obvious to me that, that dream was not only my own, but also that of my family. My parents often spoke of me becoming a lawyer, being very wealthy, and supporting the family's financial needs; and although their extreme enthusiasm continued throughout my childhood, mine rapidly diminished; until finally one day I decided that I no longer wanted to be a lawyer. I can remember how hard it seemed to tell my parents, of my final decision. I am not certain why I suddenly changed my mind about becoming a lawyer, but a part of me is certainly glad I did.

My ultimate goal for the future is to be content regardless of what I choose to do. I want to be comfortable with my decisions, be able to accept and forgive the things that I cannot change, and most of all be able to achieve the goals that I have set forth. It took some time but I've come to the conclusion that I cannot measure my success on the sole basis of others. I will only see the fruits of my labor if I do what is best for me.

I recognize that I don't have all the answers right now and that it is probably in my best interest that I don't. I have also accepted that no matter what I do in life, I will never be completely satisfied; and that's how it should be, always looking for something more, and always striving for something better.
In an admissions essay, it is perhaps unwise to dwell on what you do not want to do. It might be better to write instead about what you do want to do. If you are not certain about what subject you specifically want to major in, you can focus on the general benefits you hope to gain from a college education, such as critical thinking skills, a broader mind, a sharper ability to learn, etc.
bets91 - / 1  
It is important to write the positive aspects of yourself rather than write about what you cannot become. If an admissions director sits down to read your essay he or she may get a negative vibe. "Does this student want to go here? Why are they writing about not being able to become a lawyer?" If you are not sure about what you want to do that's fine, but you should not write about how you cannot become a lawyer. The college essay is a chance to really shine on your personality, work ethic, and charm.
It's better to avoid using contractions, so write out "it is" instead of "it's."

It is unbelievable how, each year since I began high school, what appeared to be perfectly laid plans for my future have deteriorated beyond my control.
Sofia 4 / 12  
Try not to write about what you cannot become and cannot do...write more positively, describe yourself as a strong person...
Sofia, that is some good advice!
Sofia 4 / 12  
Thanks Kevin :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'aspirations of being a lawyer' - This is a free write admission essay for Bethune