'anti-death penalty' - commonapp essay: issue you concerned and why it is important

gooddog 1 / -  
I think i am not on the topic...

can someone check please? thanks!

The important issue that concerned me is the abolishment of death penalty. From ancient times till now, the death penalty has taken away many people's lives. Death penalty shows us that government is so powerful, instructive that only a simple trial can kill someone. It's time for our new generation to make a change.

Currently, the death penalty, which is a capital punishment, has caused some debates among people. The supporter of death penalty said that this punishment is the right law to punish the people who killed someone, while the opponent said that the death penalty is an inhuman and a cruel thing to do. The death penalty is also believed that crimes cannot be stopped and it causes another person to be murdered. For me, I don't think any person should be killed by law, or you can say killed by judge's verdict.

As you can tell, I am a supporter of anti-death penalty. I believed that the execution is an action of murder, and one's life shouldn't be taken away only by people's decision, it should be in God's hand. Nowadays, there are still about thousand people killed by the death penalty each year, may including up to over twenty people that killed the victim by accident. In fact, U.S. stands number four in the world in executions performed, behind China, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. The execution rate in US is six times higher than Britain and five times higher than Australia.

The death penalty indirectly sent a message that violence is an appropriate way to solve the problems and conflicts. There are some reasons for me to fight against death penalty. First, the death penalty can't solve the entire problem. Government can execute people without their confessions if the evidences are enough. Any evidence can decide that whether this person should die or not. What if that people is actually innocent? In fact, there was a real case that happened in Philippine. The crime turned out to be innocent after the DNA examination. In my opinion, Sentences someone to death is another way to take away this person's right to explain or clarify his crime. It also takes away the chance for the crime to remorse about what he/she did.

Second, the death penalty can't help lower the crime rate. Although thousands of people killed by death penalty, the crime rate in U.S. haven't gone down. Texas, which is one of the states that has the higher rate of executing crimes, has the murder rate higher than national average in 2003.

Third, I think the death sentences are handed down arbitrary. For example, Gary Ridgeway, a serial killer in Seattle who killed 48 prostitutes, got life in prison. On the other hand, in the case of Furman v. Georgia, Furman was sentenced to death because he accidentally fired his weapon and killed the victim during the commission of a felony. One killed over 48 people, while the other killed victim by accident. It seems weird for me that the thief was the one sentenced to death. Justice Potter Stewart in the case of Furman v. Georgia, wrote that "These death sentences are cruel and unusual in the same way that being struck by lightning is cruel and unusual."

Death penalty cannot stop the crimes and it causes another person to be murdered. Therefore, if we do not fight against the death penalty, the action of killing people by trial will continued on to later generations. Abolishes death penalty will be a major issue for countries around the world.
experimentalist 1 / 1  
A good essay but try to relate yourself into this issue...don't give what can be found in books or internet...

Home / Undergraduate / 'anti-death penalty' - commonapp essay: issue you concerned and why it is important