America had blacs with a few white people; Brown Common App

CMB19932015 3 / 18 4  
Is it too much ? Thank You

As a child, I was sure of three things: my parents loved me, my sister and I threw the best Barbie Doll weddings, and America was black. Just as China had Chinese people, and Canada had Canadians, America had blacks with a couple of whites. I could not have been anymore incorrect.

I knew this because I grew up in Prince Georges County, Maryland, a predominately black suburb in the nation's capital. A place where the diversity in my elementary girl comprised one white girl, where those who were not black still had a deep understanding of the race, and where black history month is every month. There have been times when I have questioned the presence of a white person walking in my neighborhood. "What could you possibly be doing here?" While living here has allowed me to have an intimate understanding of the complexities of black Americans and given me a comfort in being a black woman, it has also disillusioned me to the color of the world.

My mother always told me the world was not black; that Prince Georges County was abnormal. And I understood what she told me intellectually, but I did not quite understand emotionally. This emotional understanding came later in my life.

Walking with the quickstep I use solely for food, I paced towards Chipotle looking forward to the chicken burrito that would soon be in my hands. My family and I were stopping for lunch in Arizona as we traveled back from visiting family. As I entered the restaurant and stood in line, I noticed that I was the only black person in the building. Scanning the room, I saw a little girl staring blankly at me as if I did not belong in the line. I had become the lone white person walking in my neighborhood streets in Prince Georges County. There standing in line, completing an everyday, basic action, I suddenly felt uncomfortable and awkward with myself. I realized that the world was not black and I was the minority.

Over the years, I have become okay with this realization. I even find it exhilarating. The world not being black only means there is more opportunities for exploration; more people to meet, more cultures to learn about, more food to eat. All this and more, waiting for me to discover.
jakk1994 2 / 22 2  
Reading your intro paragraph, I wrote an essay with the same reference to race/ethnicity, and I can tell you that you want to it be as subtle and understated as can be.

"As a child, I was sure of three things: my parents' unconditional love and support, my sister's and my daily Barbie doll weddings, and that America was ethnically African-American. Just as China had Chinese people, and Canada had Canadians, America had Americans, who in my mind were predominantly Black with a few Caucasians sprinkled here and there. It was only as I grew older and broadened my horizons that I came to realize how naive my perceptions of America were ."
js65438 3 / 4  
"I knew this because I grew up in Prince Georges County"
This sounds off with the proceeding sentence my put. I believe this growing up- or something along those lines
lalenaskye 2 / 4 4  
As a child, I was sure of three things: my parents loved me, my sister and I threw the best Barbie Doll weddings, and America was black. Just as China had Chinese people, and Canada had Canadians, America had blacks with a couple of whites. I could not have been any more incorrect.

I knew this because I grew up in Prince Georges County, Maryland, a predominately black suburb inof the nation's capital. A place where the diversity inof my elementary girlschoolcomprisedincluded one white girl and the rest of the school was black? seems unclear , where those who were not black still had a deep understanding of the race black culture and traditions? maybe say that instead , and where black history month is every month. There have been times when I have questioned the presence of a white person walking in my neighborhood. "What could you possibly be doing here?" While living here has allowed me to have an intimate understanding of the complexities of black Americans and given me a comfort in being a black woman, it has also disillusioned me to the color of the world.

My mother always told me the world was not black; that Prince Georges County was abnormal. And I understood what she told me intellectually, but I did not quite understand emotionally. Maybe try: While I could understand what she told me on an intellectual level, I couldn't quite make sense of it emotionally.However, This emotional understanding came later in my life.

Walking with the quickstep I use solely for fooda skip in my step saved only for the certain consumption (don't like that word but synonyms) of food , I paced towards Chipotle looking forward to the chicken burrito that would soon be in my hands. My family and I were stopping for lunch in Arizona as we traveled back from visiting family. As I entered the restaurant and stood in line, I noticed that I was the only black person in the building. Scanning the room, I saw a little girl staring blankly at me as if I did not belong in the line . I had become the lone out of place? white person walking indown my neighborhood streets in Prince Georges County. There standing in line, completing an everyday, basic actionsatisfying the simple, everyday craving for a burrito , I suddenly felt uncomfortable and awkward with myself. I realized quite suddenly that the world was not black and I was the minority.

Over the years, I have become okaycome to terms with this realization, I even find it exhilarating. The world not being black only means there is more opportunities for exploration; more people to meet, more cultures to learn about, more food to eat. All this and more, waiting for me to discover.

I like it, I think that if word count allots, you could add examples into your conclusion though

Home / Undergraduate / America had blacs with a few white people; Brown Common App