For or Against Embryonic Stem Cell Transplants?

Marlyk 3 / 2  
Prompt: Describe a setting in which you have collaborated or interacted with people whose experiences and/or beliefs differ from yours. Address your initial feelings, and how those feelings were or were not changed by this experience. (Texas A&M Admission Essay A)

During the first semester of my freshman year, my Pre-AP Biology class was given an assignment to research and express our point of views over a controversial topic for a debate. The motion of the debate was to be for or against the extracting of stem cells from human embryos. A human embryo can be defined as the earliest stage of development (starting from the fourth day after fertilization to the end of the eighth week) before it is considered a fetus. The stem cells are unspecialized cells that have the ability to develop into many different cells (such as blood cells, skin cells, etc.). There is a procedure that takes the embryonic stem cells from human embryos to potentially use for purposes such as treatments for diseases, research, and experiments etc. The procedure is known as stem cell transplant.

After doing research on the topic, I came to the notion that the extraction of stem cells from human embryonic cells were appropriate for use. I saw no wrong in taking stem cells from embryos to further research what could possibly save the lives of people suffering from various diseases. The human embryos were not fully developed and anyone who participated was surely willing to donate. Plus, the possibilities were endless on what these stem cells could do not only for people, but for further research in the science world.

To my teacher's surprise, only a handful of people out of the whole class were on the opposing side of the debate. Trying to make the debate more even-sided, my teacher insisted that some of the students switch to the opposing side. About ten people were chosen to switch to the opposing side. I was included. Initially, I did not want to be on a side with beliefs that were against mine, but after listening to what other people had to say I started to have a better understanding of where they were coming from. It turned out that there been had no advancement in stem cell therapy, and it had not produced any cure for diseases. Using embryonic stem cells were not guaranteed to benefit the patient's condition. In some cases it is shown that embryonic stem cells could cause tumors due to the rapid growth when injected. Also, I learned that adult stem cells are a better fit to utilize, because they would not be rejected by a patient being that it was taken from the patient themselves.

Looking back on this experience, it has taught me to not just be close minded but to take the time and acknowledge concepts from different angles. I was drawn back by their explanations, seeing the other side of the spectrum. I was able to approach the issue with a new perspective. Throughout high school, I have been able to apply this skill in many aspects of my life. One of them includes my high school drill team. This year I currently hold the position of a Senior Lieutenant which comes with many responsibilities and challenges. Being open minded has immensely impacted the way I lead the team and it has enabled me to listen to different ideas and make decisions that are best for the team. Learning to be open minded has opened many doors of opportunities that have led me to success and the person I am today.
Marlayna, I read through your essay and I believe it's written quiet well, at first I thought you were doing
an argumentative essay but you wrote the prompt and that's what most of the students forget to do.

Having said that, I'd like to enhance the last part of your essay, here it is below.

Final paragraph
- Looking back on this experience( the phrase can be deleted as you have already established the facts and where you're coming from ) ,
- it has taught me to not justto be close minded
- butand to take the time and acknowledge
- I was drawn back by their explanations,
- Throughout high school, I have been able to apply this skill in many aspects of my life.
- This year I currently hold the position of a Senior Lieutenant which
- Being open minded hasThe new skills I learned immensely impacted

Marlayna, this are my remarks and I hope it helped.

Home / Undergraduate / For or Against Embryonic Stem Cell Transplants?