Short and long-term goals priorities in my life; college degree

manda803 1 / -  
Discuss your short and long-term goals. Are some of them related? Which are priorities?

Is there anything else I can do to improve this essay.

In the next twelve months, I have a lot of plans. I am a middle college student at Octech in Orangeburg, South Carolina and I plan to finish up my second semester with a college gpa of 3.6 or better. One of my desires is to attain enough scholarships so I; nor my parents, have to worry about paying for my college. This would in turn allow me to focus on my work and maintain my grades at a higher level. I plan to participate in an overnight stay at the college in the next few weeks in order to get accustomed to their surroundings. For the past four summers, I have participated in an upward bound program and this has given me a since of what college life would be like.

My long term goal in life is to graduate college with a bacholars then masters degree in computer science and an associates degree in architecture. While in college, I would like to start out as an intern for either Google or Microsoft, and after I graduate I would like to attain a full time position.

My main priority is to focus on keeping my grades and GPA high so I can continue to be competitive in appling for scholarships. I believe aquiring a college degree is imparitive to building a successful future and achieving goals in life.
adjku - / 1  
Nice essay, straight to the point.

I would take out "I have a lot of plans". It seemed broad, not a very strong entrance.

"..in an overnight stay at the college in the next few weeks" it is probably already known what college it is, since you are submitting an application for it but I would still state the name of the college.

remember "bachelors". I would also list your associate degree first, then list bachelors then masters. To give it a kick, maybe tell why you are getting a degree in both of those professions. How the correlate?

Being an intern at Google, elaborate a little bit. Why? What will that help you do?

"My main priority is to focus on keeping my GPA high to be a competitive applicant for scholarships . "
Amanda, try to be more course specific regarding your goals over the next 12 months. When you say that you have a plan to finish the term with a specific GPA in mind, explain to the reviewer how you plan to do that. Include a discussion or description of the student study assistance programs or groups at the university that you plan to utilize during this time in order to achieve your goal. Make sure to indicate that this is your short term goal for every semester you attend the university.

With regards to your long term goals, don't just make graduation the focal point. Try to develop graduation objective for yourself. For example, explain how you plan to begin research or a project in your specific field of major that you hope to set up prior to graduating with the long term goal of continuing the research or its implementation after you complete a masters degree or maybe through your work at a particular company. Your long term goals are open for discussion. Mentioning the fact that you want to work at Google and some other tech related company was a nice touch. Try to develop that idea a bit more in order to give your future plans more direction and weight.

At the moment, your plans are too immediate and do not really reflect on your potential as a student and future professional. Try to think forward to those moments and use your newly developed ideas to enhance the content of your essay.

Home / Scholarship / Short and long-term goals priorities in my life; college degree