I have organized a mega sport event. Will this fact help me to convince on my leadership skills?

khadija liaquat 1 / -  
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries

hello i m applying for chevening scholarship.... i will truly appericate your remarks thanking u people in advance.
Some say Leadership is instinctive trait of one's personality but some say leaders can be made by choice. I personally believe that leadership is concoction of innate characteristics and influence of the enviourment of a person in which he/she lives.

I am very enthusiastic about sports. It was my dream to organize a mega sports event in my under graduation school. There was no sports committee at that time in our school extracurricular activity system. My peers told me that 'I am dreaming of an unrealistic goal'. But I was very passionate and determined to achieve my goal. I made realistic proposal and presented it to our school concerning authorities. They admired my efforts and granted me the permission to organize the event upon a condition that there must be at least 50% participation of the girls in every sporting event.

Now, this was the absolute test of my assurance because few female students were found to participate in the sports activities because in our society females are reluctant to express themselves openly. In order to achieve my task, I made a sports society which consist of amalgam of juniors, seniors from my school whom I found passionate for the organization of sports event. It was tenacious to develop coordination, harmony and consistency among such diverse group of peers. It was arduous to make them believe in my vision and its practical implementation. In my struggling period I used to interact with every single member of my team, listen to their queries, reservations provided them with the practical solution of their problem. I streamlined the things and we started moving in positive direction. In order to provide every single member of my team with the opportunity to utilize all his/her efforts at best, I divided my team into two vast groups indoor and outdoor sports society, within each group there were a lot many other small subgroups that dealt with different sports activities.

It's obvious that when such diverse group of peers worked together, I faced conflicts among different subgroups. To address this problem, I devised a solution that is, I used to call meeting thrice in a week in which we all discussed hurdles faced by each of us, that meeting brought sense of tolerance, respect among the different members of group. As a result, the members who were always confronting each other, started to assist one another because they came across the hardships that there other group members were suffering. I was vigilantly looking each and every subgroup, facilitate them. The things were streamlined, and we were thriving towards our goal. I must quote that as the deadlines of indoor sport activities were approaching, there was overwhelming response of the participants were witnessed; we had assigned more team members for accomplishment of this task.

We got more than 50% participation of the female students in every activity, everything went placidly, my dean admired our efforts, it was the biggest achievement of that event for me and my team. The event went as gravy train. That event was Eldorado in my career as it provides me with the opportunity to practice and refine my skills of leadership. It taught me that if you have a clear vision and have courage to execute it, have ability to organize a team that have same goal, remain consistent, passionate, work hard, make your team believe in you and your goal throughout your journey you will achieve your desired goal.
The essay that I just read is a perfect example of using an extra curricular activity as the basis of a leadership narrative. All of the elements of leadership development were represented, even if it was in a bit of a controlled environment since it happened at your school. However, the problems that you faced were real, the solutions you had to develop were applied, and you served as a guiding light or source of positive influence when the group was ready to fall apart. You definitely displayed leadership material throughout the process. That said, we now just need to polish the essay language to make it ready for submission :-)

Par. 1:
Some say L leadership is AN instinctive trait of one's personality , but s Some say leaders can be made by choice. I personally believe that leadership is A concoction of innate characteristics and influence of the enviourment ENVIRONMENT of a person in which he/she lives.

It was my dream to organize a mega sports event in AT my under graduation GRADUATE school. There was no sports committee at that time in our school extracurricular activity system AT THE TIME.

I made A realistic proposal and presented it to our school concerning authorities.
granted me the permission to organize the event upon a THE condition that

Par. 2:
Now, this was the absolute test of my assurance INFLUENCING SKILLS because few female students were found to participate INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING in the sports activities because in our society , females are reluctant to express themselves openly. In order to achieve my task, I made FOUNDED a sports society which consistED of AN amalgam of juniors, AND seniors from my school whom I found passionate for the organization of sports eventS. It was tenacious to develop coordination, harmony and consistency among such A diverse group of peers. It was arduous DIFFICULT to make them believe in my vision and its practical implementation. In my struggling period DURING MY PERIOD OF STRUGGLE I used to interact with every single member of my team, listen to their queries, AND reservationsSO I COULD provided them with the practical solution of TO their problem. I streamlined the things and we started moving in positive direction. In order to provide every single member of my team with the opportunity to utilize all his/her efforts at best, I divided my team into two vast groups REPRESENTING THE indoor and outdoor sports society, within each group there were a lot many other small subgroups that dealt with different sports activities.

Par. 3:
It's obvious that when such diverse group of peers worked together, I WOULD faced conflicts among THE different subgroups. To address this problem, I devised a solution that is, . I used to callED A meeting thrice in a week in which WHERE we all discussed THE hurdles faced by each of us, . t That meeting brought A sense of tolerance, AND respect among the different members of group.

I was vigilantly looking OBSERVING each and every subgroup, AND HELPED TO facilitate them THEIR NEEDS.
I must quote MENTION that as the deadlines of indoor sport activities were approaching APPROACHED, there was AN overwhelming response IN THE FORM OF REGISTRATION of FROM the participants were witnessed ; we had assigned more team members for THE accomplishment of this task.

Par. 4:
We got more than 50% participation of the female students in every activity, everything went placidly PEACEFULLY, my OUR dean admired our efforts, it was the biggest achievement of that event for me and my team. The event went as gravy train. That event was Eldorado in my career as it provides THE ACTIVITY GAVE me with the opportunity to practice and refine my skills of leadership AND INFLUENCING. It taught me that if you have a clear vision and have courage THE to execute it,IF YOU have ability to organize a team that have SHARES THE same goal, IF THE LEADER CAN remain consistent, passionate, workING hard, AND CAN make your THE team believe in youR LEADERSHIP and your goal throughout your journey , you will achieve your desired goal.
HI, I'd like to share my thoughts on your essay.

Reading throughout your essay, I must say that the process towards executing your leadership skills is written in a way that we as readers were able to follow.

I like the fact that you made the essay very detailed from the forming of the group all the way to proper designation of tasks and the victory in the end, you were their all through out the process and you made sure that everybody is in the same page. This traits is indeed, the traits of a good leader.

Now, I'd like to focus your thoughts on the last paragraph of the essay, I believe it can be further enhanced.

Oh, the word environment , correct it as well.

Final paragraph

- We got more thanWith over 50% participation
- it was the biggest achievement of thatfrom the event for me and my team.
- The event went aslike gravy train.
- That event was Eldorado in my career as it providesd me with the
- opportunity to practice and refine my skills ofin leadership.
- have ability to organize a team that have samewith one goal,
- remainbe consistent, passionate,
- throughout your journey and you will achieve yourthe desired goal.

There you have it, for future writing reference, make sure to include your linking verbs as they complete the sentences.

Home / Scholarship / I have organized a mega sport event. Will this fact help me to convince on my leadership skills?