Essay on most important engineering (Infrastructure or Environmental) for Scholarship

Salmanmalik 1 / -  
Hey there, I need help to review my essay on, "what is the most important engineering (infrastructure or environmental related)
issue that should be addressed in your local community. Justify your choice and envision a role for yourself". for scholarship and please point out necessary correction i'll be very thankful to you.

Essay
In my point of view, the most critical Engineering issue that needs to be addressed in my local community is related to infrastructure and is water management infrastructure.

Infrastructure assets are the physical structures, facilities, and networks that provide essential services to the public. Infrastructure can then be more concisely defined as "The physical components of interrelated systems, providing commodities and services essential to enable, sustain, or enhance societal living conditions."

In a nutshell, Infrastructure development and management is an aspect in which the efficient developments within a society rely heavily upon, and is the cornerstone for socio-economic development. The availability of infrastructure is of great importance in the realization of sustainable development. The development of infrastructure in any community would ensure societal well-being by enabling human and social development in a society, which is important for development in a country. Infrastructure plays a pointed, often decisive role in determining the overall productivity and development of a country's economy, as well as the quality of life of its citizens

Pakistan could not sustain its growth over the time due to lack of supporting infrastructure.Water management infrastructure, which I stated above as the most crucial issue, includes but not limited to irrigation & flood control system (reservoir, canals etc.), Drinking water supply system, Sewage systems. A brief importance of aforementioned components of water management infrastructure is highlighted below.

The economy of Pakistan is very much dependent on its agricultural products. We are blessed with abundant fertile land, but we are not using it to the fullest extent due to inadequate water management. For the past few years, each year we are used to run short of water in dry season and during rainy season devastating floods wash away the harvests and harm the other infrastructure as well.So, there is a strong demand of building up new water reservoir that will avail us not merely to provide water in dry seasons and store surplus water in the rainy season but also to obtain the most inexpensive source of energy i.e. hydroelectric power from this dammed water.

According to a survey on behalf of the Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources published in 2012, 88% of the functional water supply schemes in Pakistan provide water that is unsafe for drinking because of microbiological contamination. Poor drinking water quality lead to major outbreaks of waterborne diseases. Estimates indicate that each year, more than three million Pakistanis become infected with waterborne diseases.A quality infrastructure for clean and healthy water supply is highly required, which includes a system of pipes, pumps, filtration and treatment equipment and meters, including buildings and structures to house the equipment, used for the collection, treatment and distribution of drinking water.

Mismanagement of sewage is also of great concern in Pakistan. Rivers and natural drains are being contaminated with untreated industrial wastewater containing harmful chemicals and heavy metals.Escape of wastewater from old and weather-beaten sewer pipes is also a source which is contaminating underground water. This contaminated water, when used for household purposes becomes a cause of various diseases. So, there is a strong need of developing an appropriate sewage system and upgrading the already existing sewage system.It is also required to enforce industries to treat their wastewater before dumping it intothe sewage system.

Holding in view the above stated scenarios, it is obvious that people are in need of being enlightened about the importance of water management infrastructure. I understand that I can take this task of educating people about water management infrastructure as a social cause and as well as being a civil engineer I can also be a part of the team to develop mega projects of national interests like Dam etc.
jojo159 1 / 4 2  

How about this? In my point of view, the most critical infrastructure-related Engineering issue that needs to be addressed in my local community is water management.

For the past few years, each year we are used to run...
For the past few years, each year we are used to running

Overall, seems good!

Please return the favor by critiquing my essay! :)

Home / Scholarship / Essay on most important engineering (Infrastructure or Environmental) for Scholarship