'Ecuadorian culture' How has your Hispanic heritage influenced your academic goals?

emptythoughts 2 / 3  
Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals. How has your Hispanic heritage influenced these goals?

Although, I was born in the United States, I spent the first eight years of my life in Ecuador. Growing up in Ecuador made me more Hispanic than I could have ever been if I spent all my life in the United States. Spanish became my first language, I considered Ecuador my country too, rather than just the country my parents came from and I was taught that there is nothing more important than family.

Family value was demonstrated through actions. It was present in the sacrifices everyone made in order to ensure each other's well being. For instance, my father, who had worked two jobs in order to financially sustain my mother and I. It is thorough witnessing these acts of love that I came to understand the tremendous influence my family and heritage would exert on my goals and aspirations.

In most cases, the influence my family has on my life takes the form of high expectation. While, many people might consider high expectations a burden, I have always considered it a constant reminder of what I am capable of achieving. Using their expectations as a boost of confidence, I have already begun to accomplish some of my short term academic goals. I am a first generation college student pursuing a BBA in Finance. My academic achievements have been recognized through scholarships, awards and through my placement in Pace University's Business Honors Program. I feel satisfied knowing that my hard work and dedication are beginning to pay off, yet this feeling will not cloud my focus because this kind of satisfaction generates motivation of its own. After completing my bachelor's degree in Finance, I plan on attending law school where I will specialize in environmental law.

Unfortunately, in our developing world, many corporations are being accused of damaging the environment. A specific case that increased my interest in environmental law is the Aguinda vs. Chevron/Texaco case. Since 2001, Chevron Corporation has drilled oil in Ecuador's Amazon rainforest region. The Corporation is accused of harming the environment and the indigenous inhabitants of Ecuador's Amazon. In the years that I lived in Ecuador, I witnessed the significant role that indigenous people play in upholding Ecuadorian culture. Therefore, in the future, I would like to use my career to help protect not only the environment but also the people and culture that reside in that environment.

Today, I realize how fortunate I am to take part in Ecuadorian culture in the same way that I take part in American culture. I have learned to function in two very different cultures. This quality has taught me not only to value both cultures but also showed me where I come from, defined the person I am today and ultimately helped me figure out who I want to be in the future.
need_advice 6 / 21  
Try to play around with your topic sentence to make it really grab the reader's attention. Also, make sure you're staying on topic (you started drifting a bit on the environment issue). Otherwise great job! Good Luck!
OP emptythoughts 2 / 3  
really? I thought writing about the environmental issue in ecuador would demonstrate how my goal to study environmental law was to some degree influenced by my heritage.

But, thanks for the feedback. I will make some changes to this essay.

Home / Scholarship / 'Ecuadorian culture' How has your Hispanic heritage influenced your academic goals?