Children with special needs; Health Care Scholarship - Why counseling or health care?

Granolabargurl 1 / 3  
Prompt-"Why you have selected to work in the field of counseling or health care."
I really need this scholarship, so bug me on any little error!
Thanks!
I would like to pursue a career in pediatric occupational therapy to make a difference in the lives of children.
I learned about children with special needs at an early age. My younger brother was born with a congenital heart defect. Although he was able to do most activities, he was not allowed to play contact sports and he was required to take medicine every day. Additionally, he had to undergo special testing. My brother wore a halter all day to monitor his heart rhythms once a year. These small concessions may seem insignificant to most people; however, they are not in the eyes of a small child. My brother wanted to be like the other kids in his class. He did not want to be singled out when it came time for sports nor did he want to be asked about the heart monitor. His experiences made me understand how important "fitting in" is in the emotional development of a child. As an occupational therapist, I would like to help children learn how to participate in all their daily activities. There is no better feeling than seeing a young child perform a task they previously were unable to accomplish. The joy that radiates from their face is priceless.

Another reason I chose occupational therapy is my love of teaching. Reflecting back on my years in high school, I realized what brings me the most joy and satisfaction is helping other people and teaching children. I also enjoyed being able to create and design new methods of learning. Throughout high school, I gave piano lessons to beginning students. This was the highlight of my week. I loved interacting with the students and designing different teaching techniques. I strived to make the lessons more challenging and fun. Some weeks we would perform duets and others I would use the computer to assist me. By using different methods, I noticed my students played their songs with more enthusiasm and they enjoyed the variety. I believe this experience will be valuable to me as I begin my career in the health industry because teaching piano taught me many lessons I can use in Occupational Therapy. I learned that different people learn in different ways and the importance of patience.

Hence, pediatric occupational therapy would be a dream job for me because of my personal experiences and my love of teaching and helping others. The satisfaction of coaching others to reach their goal is what motivates me to pursue this occupation.

I think this you can present with more creativeness :)
I love children and really look forward to making my contribution for a positive difference in their lives. This is why I am keen on a career in pediatric occupational therapy that would enable me to brighten up the lives of children with special needs.

This is awesome ... very well presented.

Another reason I chose occupational therapy is my love of teaching.

Further, I am very passionate about teaching others and occupational therapy is just the right thing in this regard.

Home / Scholarship / Children with special needs; Health Care Scholarship - Why counseling or health care?