Thesis statements on global warming?

tankbuster 1 / -  
I have to come up with 4 thesis statements for global warming. I am stuck, I have never had to write a thesis before. I dont know how to write one or what points need to be brought up. please help.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think the words "thesis statement" strike fear into the hearts of many students! It's not that hard, really! Think of it as a "topic sentence"--does that sound less intimidating? :-))

Your thesis statement presents the subject of your essay or research paper; more than that, though, it presents an argument. Here is an example: "After years of scientific wrangling over the existence of global warming, experts are now in agreement that the problem presents a major risk for the future of our planet." Do you see how I not only introduced the subject of global warming, but also took a position, i.e., that global warming is a real threat? One could also take the other side: "Despite years of attempts by scientists and the liberal media to cause worldwide panic on the subject, no credible evidence exists that global warming poses a real threat." (Just for the record, I totally made that up. ;=))

Give it a go and see what you come up with! You can do it!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
Drock3106 1 / 1  
Need a Topic for ten page Research paper; 'global warming'

I have a ten page research paper due for my English class next month. However, I am not sure as to what kind of topic I should talk about. I am considering the topic of global warming. I if I do choose this topic I need to make it a bit more narrow. Any ideas on topics of how to make the one I have more narrow ???
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Fortunately, the topic of global warming has been written about at length, so finding sources won't be a problem. But, as you have discovered, it is a double-edged sword, as there can be too much information to handle easily. There are plenty of ways to whittle it down. You could focus on the evolution of opinion about the existence of global warming in the U.S., from "it's a bunch of tree-hugger nonsense" to "we have to do something about this right now!"; you could explore whether other countries, particularly those of the European Union, have had a better response to the issue than the U.S.; you could write about global warming's economic effect so far, if it has indeed been responsible for the disturbed weather patterns giving rise to the devastating tsunami or to hurricane Katrina, or the wildfires raging through southern California; or, you could write about the future: what steps will help? is it already too late? if not, when will it be, and what would the impact on the world as a whole actually be?

I hope these ideas can help get you started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
najiyyah - / 1  
i have never written a thesis state before how do i start by writing the causes and effect of global warming on the environment
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think the very word "thesis" makes it sound scary and intimidating! All it is, really, is just a sentence (sometimes two) which tells your reader what the essay is going to be about. Generally, a thesis will take a position on a particular topic, and the rest of the essay will consist of information which supports that position.

For example, for a paper on global warming, you might say something like "Global warming is a direct result of modern industrialization's impact on the environment. Unless governments and big business take drastic steps to reduce man's footprint on the planet, life as we know it will cease to exist."

I hope this helps you get started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
breighannon4489 - / 2  
Global warming negative effects research - my thesis statement

thesis statement: global warming is a serious matter in today's society. to prtect the health of the Earth, we must first acknowledge the negative effects of global warming.

i thought this was a good thesis statement, but to my surpris iw as wrong. my teacher wrote this about it; manmade effects of global warming? can it be reversed?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

What you need here is to narrow your scope. Who/what is responsible for these negative effects? Can they be reversed? How about something like, "Global warming is a serious matter in today's society. To protect the health of the Earth, we must first acknowledge the negative effects of man made global warming, and whether or not they can be reversed."

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
breighannon4489 - / 2  
ok and becasue my research paper is complete, would it be ok for me to just add an explanation at the end of each paragraph on why and how each cause is man made related?

i have 4 body paragraph topics.
I: effects on atmosphere
II: effects on agricultrue
III: effects on oceans
IV: effects on humans
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
If it is included in your thesis, it needs to be addressed thoroughly throughout the body of your paper. As long as you do that, it should be fine.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
catgondi - / 1  
Global Warming & the effects to Earth: Thesis Statement request

I'm in a "college bound" english class at my high school.
We are currently writing a research paper, my topic is over Global Warming.

I'm currently working on an implied thesis statement so far I have two in mind.

Global warming is more than just higher temperatures; it is the destruction of entire ecosystems this result is because of human pollution, consequently now humans are left to discover technologies to reduce the waste.

Global warming would not exist without the aid of human involvement through pollution; the effects to Earth will be detrimental to most life on earth ,as a result now humans are trying to undo the damage to Earth through alternative clean energy sources.

Should I even use these?
If so are there any improvements that could be made?
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
The only problem I see is that you assume global warming is/was caused by human activity. 35 years ago the world 'thought' there was Global Cooling. You may want to do more research and ask yourself what/who will benefit from the global warming hysteria: denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm
These two statements are a little too simplistic. They just express the most basic ideas associated with global warming. Your job is to come up with a new idea, some interesting observation. It is not necessary to come up with some idea that will change the world -- you can do that after you graduate -- but come up with your own thoughtful idea AFTER reading at least 3 articles.

Read an article that says humans cause global warming and then read one that says global warming is a myth. When you have done this, you'll be able to say something more meaningful than what you wrote here.

An example of an interesting thesis might mention the roles being played by scientists, activists, politicians, and so forth.

:-)
hnhendrix - / 1  
Thesis statement on Global Warming and humans affecting the problem.

I am writing a paper on global warming and how humans are affecting global warming. I am having a terrible time with the thesis statement and finding topics to be put into the paper. It needs to be an argumentative paper. Please help me! Thanks.
sonofgod229 1 / 3  
I just read from mod Kevin's suggestion that you can obtain a wide range of information in terms of global warming at findarticles.com or scholargoole.com , so it's better to get a broad understanding about your topic and then extracting your own knowledge to make a influential thesis

Good luck
I am having a terrible time with the thesis statement

When people say this, it is often because they are trying to come up with a thesis statement before doing any writing.

You have to write a paragraph about one article. That is how to begin.

Do a search for this: global warming debate evidence

One article will interest you more than the others. Read it, and if it is not boring, finish reading it. In the FIRST and LAST few paragraphs of the article, you can find the MAIN IDEA. Write a paragraph about the author's main idea.

When you do that for a few articles, you will start to see a unique, interesting idea about global warming. That is the thesis statement.
JovanaR - / 1  
"the myths and the facts" - Help with a Thesis Statement on Global Warming.

Hello, I'm having a little trouble coming up with a good thesis statement for my paper. I have already written the body pages. The paper is pretty much about the global warming myths and facts. My direction was trying to prove that the myths were in fact myths. I went into all the scientific reasons and the natural causes. I just need help wording my introductory page. My professor is BIG on strong thesis statements and I don't want to mess this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS...

BTW, its 6 page research paper..
Look at those body paragraphs, and see if the first sentence in each one is a good topic sentence, to express the main idea of the paragraph. EF Kevin's rule is, 'one paragraph = 1 idea, expressed in the topic sentence.' Average them all up, look at all those ideas together and what does it all add up to? What does it all mean? Whatever that is, express it at the end of the first paragraph...after a great opening sentence at the beginning!
cutieangellaura - / 2  
How to write a thesis statement about global warming

I have to write a research paper about global warming. The topic is "United states posture on global warming: past, present, future"
However, I'm having trouble setting up a thesis statement on that topic. Any suggesstions or ideas?
pokiworms 3 / 6  
I would have started off with a 3 prong sentence using semicolons to talk about the thoughts of global warming during all 3 time portions?

Or it may be better to just dive in with a general statement encompassing all 3 time periods with Global warming.
cutieangellaura - / 2  
Do you know how to put all 3 time periods in one sentence? That seems a bit complicated to write a thesis statement for all 3 of them.
hesaves 2 / 3  
My suggestion is that you do some research regarding the US's stance on global warming to get a general idea of its response. For this type of essay, I think it would be effective if you argue for a side. For example, you can say that the US has been passive on the issue of global warming and has not take much effort to resolve it. If you take a stance, you will be able to focus your essay more rather than just vaguely trying to talk about everything.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
maddyk - / 1  
How to create a thesis for a global warming essay?

Hello,

I have an essay which I must write on global warming. I have decided to base it around a quote by Tim Flannery. The quote is "... we are the generation fated to live in the most interesting of times, for we are now the weather makers, and the future of biodiversity and civilization hangs on our actions." After researching and reading Tim Flannery's book, I'm not exactly sure what my thesis will be. I want to focus mainly on humans making changes in weather due to global warming, I'm just not sure how to word it. The essay must be at least 2000 words and argumentative. I have to show both sides to global warming, but ultimately decide on one.

Thank you,

Maddi.
Aldo111 2 / 4  
I think you could start off by giving a brief history of how we have developed into what Tim Flannery calls "the weather makers". It wasn't always this way. Our progress has led to this point, and now "the future of biodiversity and civilizations hangs on our actions." That could be one way to approach an introduction, by briefly describing the past. Then slowly, you could move on to the present, talking about what are the latest trends in Unnatural weather changes and climate variations. You could maybe look up various practices and methods or tools used in weather-affecting systems and processes, and then out of all these methods, you could take a select few and talk a bit about them in your essay. Depending on what side you ultimately pick (For weather change or against, example) you should start off with the side you DON'T agree with. So for example, if you take a weather-affecting practice such as cloud seeding, which affects clouds and precipitation, and you are AGAINST weather change, then what you can do is start by talking about evidences or instances where this practice worked/was introduced. From there, you can move on to actually speaking against it, providing details about how cloud seeding is just another misguided laboratory experiment which in reality leads to the "extinction of precipitation" where it is used, causing more problems such as a high risk of drought, crop damage due to lack of rain..etc.

It could provide a nice transition where you speak about why others maybe support the opposite point of view, then moving onto why you support YOUR point of view.

Hope this helps :)
Nurvey - / 1  
Global warming: is it a fact or a myth? Thesis Statement

Hey guys (:
I need a thesis statement for this question: global warming: is it a fact or a myth?

I'm going to choose it's a fact but I still can't figure out a thesis statement for it :(
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
I need a thesis statement for this question

Google is the best friend. Everything you can find there.
Also, you can use this site (EF) to look at other peoples' essays/ topics for ideas.
If you think that you need some feedback, then you post your writing as a rough draft here.

Home / Essays / Thesis statements on global warming?