Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 6

Stuck on ideas for Research Paper (argumentative research topic) 100 class

Aristae 2 / 6  
I'm stuck on ideas for a research paper for my English 100 Class. My teacher doesn't want a history research topic, he wants an argumentative research topic. The research paper has to be 2000-2500 words long. I'm not much into politics, so a lot of the ideas on the internet are hard for me to write on. I really like literature, especially C.S. Lewis. Basically what I need are some good ideas for a 2000-2500 word argumentative research paper, that have a lot of information to back them up, because obviously the essay is really long. Any ideas?
There are tons of topics you could pick from:

abortion
gun control
public health care
euthanasia
stem cell research
global warming
racial profiling
home schooling
violence in television/video games
the validity of game theory

And so on. But if you want to focus on something related to literature, why not argue for or against one of these positions:

popular literature is less valuable than classical literature
reading literature is a waste of time
books that deal with controversial topics should be banned from the classroom.
Jeannie 10 / 214  
EF_Sean
I about spit out my coffee! I was going to say the same thing to start!
Exactly what Sean suggested!
What you need to do, Julia, is become very contrary for a second. Pick any topic and then be the devil's advocate; argue why it is not right! It is so easy!

Toilet paper is a miracle of modern invention. <NO IT IS NOT
Toilet paper is directly responsible for polluting the air we breath and desalinating tidal estuaries.
I am a girl...and I came up with that counter argument out of sheer audacity. So can you. Rush Limbaugh does it every single day and gets away with no facts, surely you can make a compelling and factual argument about something.
hxcliv 1 / 2  
Try political views or even something you can relate to.
OP Aristae 2 / 6  
hmm, I might try homeschooling or that violence in video games/television suggestion. Thanks for your help guys!
Jeannie 10 / 214  
Or homelessness...there are two distinct sides to that argument, all you have to do is choose one side and research, research, research. I have some sites I can point you to for this particular topic (it is a soapbox of mine), but if you choose another topic, let me know because I have some tools that might help.

...I like to argue. teehee! I can even argue against myself!

Home / Research Papers / Stuck on ideas for Research Paper (argumentative research topic) 100 class