Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 12

Research paper on death penalty - where to start?

ice tea 7 / 7  
i have to write a 10-12 pages on death penalty. i have no clue on how i should start it.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Probably the easiest way to begin would be to take a position, for or against it, and make that your thesis. For example: "Despite the fact that over 135 countries across the globe have outlawed the death penalty, and that there is little evidence to support its use, the United States remains as one of the few major industrialized nations that still executes prisoners." (You could also choose to take the opposite viewpoint, of course.) The supporting paragraphs which follow could start off with a history of the death penalty (going back as far as you think you need to, as 10-12 pages is a fairly long paper), ways that it has changed in implementation over time (gas chamber, lethal injection, etc.), other historical points of interest (for instance, that the U.S. Supreme Court suspended its application for a number of years after deciding that it was not being implemented fairly), and, of course, the arguments and evidence that support your position as to whether the death penalty is an effective form of punishment. Bring in, as well, the arguments on the other side, and show why they are flawed. Finish with a conclusion that summarizes the major points you have made and restate your conclusion that your position is the correct one.

I hope this helps draw a sort of road map for you that will be helpful!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP ice tea 7 / 7  
i have start working on my outline. is this ok? will it be enough for a 10-12 page paper? any suggestion?

Direction: in a 10-12 page essay, argue about the death penalty. no informational essays (reports) are acceptable. the proposal requires an outline (thesis and main points) and works cited page.

Thesis: Both sides argue how about well the used of the death penalty.

Point 1: brief history of the death penalty
Point 2: costs of putting a criminal on death penalty
Point 3: worldwide use of the death penalty
Point 4: Juveniles on death row
Point 5: alternatives to the use of the death penalty
Point 6: possible error in killing someone who is innocent
Point 7: death penalty protects society from dangerous criminals
Point 8: effectiveness of the death penalty
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon!

This looks like a great outline for your essay. Depending on how much information you have to apply to each point, it is probably enough to meet your page requirements. Just to clarify, is your thesis a pros and cons view of all of these points? If so, you should have more than enough information to fulfill that requirement. I suggest clarifying your thesis to something such as "The Pros and Cons of the Effectiveness of the Death Penalty". Also, are you studying one country in particular? If not, you might want to narrow your research down to just one county, or perhaps compare and contrast two different ones. Also, don't forget your works cited page!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
nonames123 - / 1  
How to start a Death Penalty research paper?

Hi everyone, this is my first time using essayforum and I would like to introduce myself. I'm currently a sophomore at my college. I have to do a research paper for my English class and my topic was the Death Penalty. My question is how to begin the paper. I know that i could pick either I'm against the death penalty or for it. But any I may need to some help to get started.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

I suggest you begin with a rough outline, especially with a topic as vast as this one, not right off with the introduction. After all, how are you to write an in introduction to a paper that you haven't written yet?

List all of the main topics you absolutely want to discuss in the paper, followed by one interesting fact, detail, or other supporting information for each point. Once you have the content you want, then you can write a rough conclusion reiterating the main points you discussed in the body. This is where your outside research is going to really help you; you'll find interesting things you want to include, and some stuff that probably isn't very important.

Once you have all of that completed, the introduction will be much easier. You can find a catchy way to lead your readers into the paper you have already written.

I hope this helps you get started.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
dwalkma - / 1  
How to start and narrow a public policy research paper on Death Penalty

Hello,
I have to write a public policy research paper (7 pages) on the death penalty.
Per the instructor it is NOT to be a position/opinion/argument paper and should focus more on court cases or bills opposed to methods of executions.

My question is How to start and what can I focus on so that the paper is still cohesive. Do I perhaps pick a state and look at the history, process and statistics??

Thank You
Sounds like it is supposed to be a research paper. You can still have theme, even if it is not a position. You might notice a theme emerging as you read the articles you collect to write this. Start by reading some interesting articles... and simply write about them!

So-and-So writes that the death penalty...

Get a strong collection, and start drawing conclusions.
karen_11 - / 1  
How to start a research paper for death penalty

im doing a research paper on death penalty i already have an outline i just dont no how too start it. i really need help its due tomorrow.
TuKhuyen - / 2  
You can post your outline here, and everybody can read it to understand what do you want, and find a way to help you.
Breanuh21 - / 1  
How can I start of my research paper about the death penalty?

My assignment is to write about a strong belief that I have. I chose the death penalty. I was just wondering how I can start it off?
hungvud 19 / 30 6  
This is an interesting essay and easy to write.

in your intro, you can say: 'death penalty' is a problem of much controversy, many country favor of 'death penalty' and apply that, while many others object strongly to this punishment. My opinion is... (here you state your idea about the form of punishment, you favor it or not?

in your body part, you can give some reasons why you favor or not favor this form of punishment. (here I suppose you favor)
- many people are committing serious crime and they have to pay for that...
- Death penalty can help to prevent potential crimes, if someone knows that he will get 'death penalty' if he do that, he might not dare to commit crime. You can take the case of Anders Breivik (Norwegian) who killed 70 people in the camp for example...

in your conclusion, state again your idea

Good lucks.

Hung Vu

Home / Research Papers / Research paper on death penalty - where to start?