Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Why We Love Scary Stories - Research Paper/Rough Draft

niclc7 1 / -  
Scary stories are something that most of us are familiar with. We can probably remember the first scary movie we saw, or recount the scary stories we shared as children. Horror stories have been told for centuries throughout almost every society and culture. These stories cause us to feel uneasy, yet people continue to be drawn to them. These stories serve many purposes. Horror stories are used as a way to ground society particularly in instances of unprecedented events.

Horror stories are an integral part of many cultures. Several scary stories became part of a tradition and helped shape the way our ancestors lived their lives. Some came about with very specific intentions; parent or elders used them to scare the youth into obedience, they were used to express fears, reflect society's prejudices, or explain certain events. Horror stories evoke feelings of discomfort and anxiety, yet societies have been drawn to them for centuries.

The reasons horror stories are written have changed over time. There are common threads that can be seen for the creation of many horror stories from ancient societies to the present. Society uses horror stories as a measure of what is or is not acceptable, to explain the unexplainable, to frighten individuals into obedience, or for entertainment (Carroll, 1990).

Curses have been part of many cultures throughout history and are commonly used to explain tragic occurrences. War, illness, death, failing farms or businesses were all blamed on curses. A few ancient stories of curses have even made their way into current popular culture. Werewolves have been featured in countless modern movies and books, but these creatures were first mentioned in a medieval Irish story about a curse (Joyce, 1911). It is said that Saint Patrick was travelling from village to village preaching Christianity when he came upon the people of Ossory (Joyce, 1911). While attempting to spread the word of God, the people of Ossory began to howl at Saint Patrick like wolves. Saint Patrick in turn, prayed to God to place a curse on the people of Ossory which would cause them to transform into wolves while still maintaining their human consciousness. The story of these cursed people has stood the test of time and some version of it is still being retold today.

Throughout the years, the horror genre has gone through many changes. Ancient myths were often told with specific intentions to warn, scare, encourage religious loyalty, or teach. These myths can be credited for establishing the foundation in which many horror stories are based. Gothic Literature from late eighteenth and nineteenth century England has taken many cues from ancient myths and also paved the way for the modern art horror genre. Several horror films were produced throughout the time of German expressionism in the 1920s and Golden Age of Hollywood in the 1930s.

The horror genre gained immense popularity in the United States in the 1970s with several hit movies and books. This was the time of Jason, Freddy, and many Steven King novels. The baby boomers of the United States were devouring these movies and books and demanding more. The horror genre was experiencing its first widespread cult following.

Modern horror stories or movies are created primarily for entertainment. Many events that were previously unexplainable, can now be explained by science and technology. Myths and curses no longer need to be perpetuated. There are still a few occurrences that can not be easily explained, and are represented in horror films and books. Doomsday scenarios, alien invasions, and serial killers are all popular themes of recent horror stories. The sources of fear may have changed over time, but fear is an undying emotion.

Modern culture is still drawn to horror stories. The feelings that are provoked when one reads a scary story or watches a frightening film are not normally experienced in everyday life, so people seek to experience this emotion by watching movies or reading books. This is evident as several horror movies still become box office hits in our modern society (Worland, 2006).

The horror genre, despite popular approval, is typically overlooked by art critics. The social and cultural taboos portrayed in many horror films and stories have caused the genre to be viewed with disdain by many, but this genre has added significant value to many cultures. Goya, Mary Shelley, and Steven King have made considerable contributions to the horror genre.

Aliens, monsters, werewolves and vampires were introduced as a way to express society's fears, reflect our prejudices, or explain occurrences that cause us to feel uncomfortable. Horror stories are used as an outlet. They can provide society with an explanation for things that are unknown, they ground society, and they are a reflection of collective fears. Much can be learned about society and ourselves by exploring this genre.
pebzna12 13 / 24 9  
Hi, Nicole! Nice to have an overview toward the scary stories through your writing. Here I just want to share a little thing with you. Based on my understanding of research paper theme which has strong relation with academic writing, it is better to add the list of the references alphabetically in the end of your writing.

Below is the example..
Carroll, ... 1990. (Book/Source Title) . Publisher/Website .
Joyce, ...1911. (Book/Source Title) . Publisher/Website .
Worland, ... 2006. (Book/Source Title) . Publisher/Website .

Hopefully that will be helpful (:
Hi Nicole, first of all, WELCOME to the Essay Forum, we hope that you find this website helpful and useful to your writing materials.
We aim to provide you with the most comprehensive and accurate feedback that is relevant to your essay and may you find us credible towards the final submission of your projects.

Now, going back to your paper, as it is a rough draft, I must say it is a well written one already. You were able to point out the main idea of the task at hand. Moreover, you made sure that the information you presented is valuable, current and realistic to todays world. This is crucial to your writing project, as it is a research paper, it is necessary that you gather the right information, the most credible source and this will be the foundation of your paper. Speaking of credible source, you have to make sure that the citation you note on the paper has the pages, the sequence or the paragraph as well as the number of the sentences you are associating to the paper is included in the citation. It is also a very good approach to incorporate the citation alongside the noted sentences, so good job on that.

I hope to review your final revision soon and best of luck to you. Keep writing and post more of your work here on EF, we will be here to assist you further.

Home / Research Papers / Why We Love Scary Stories - Research Paper/Rough Draft