Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

"Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that starts in the cells of the breast"

ebagwell 2 / 3  
I am doing a research paper on breast cancer and I am in need of some help with my introduction and conclusion paragraphs. My instructor had us write our body paragraphs first just to see if that would help ignite some thoughts on the introduction and conclusion. I have copied both my thesis statement and my body paragraphs below, if you have any ideas or suggestions for my introduction, body paragraphs, or conclusion I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you...

Thesis Statement
Breast cancer can be very harmful to all women around the world; it can lead to the loss of a breast or can even be fatal.

Body Paragraphs
"Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that starts in the cells of the breast" (American Cancer Society, 2013). A malignant tumor also known as a cancerous tumor is a group of cells that have the ability to invade surrounding tissues of the affected area and have the possibly spread to other areas of the body. Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers amongst all women in the United States. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death amongst all women in the United States. "About 1 in 8 women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer in their lifetime" (American Cancer Society, 2013). There are about 232,340 new cases each year that end up being invasive breast cancer and about 64,640 new cases each year that end up being non-invasive breast cancer each year. Out of all of those new cases there are about 39,620 women diagnosed with breast cancer will end up losing their battle with this disease.

Usually breast cancer is found once symptoms have appeared, but most women that are in the earliest stages of breast cancer have the ability of not showing any symptoms of the disease. This is the main reason doctor's highly recommend women to do their own monthly breast examinations, since they know how their breasts should feel and if they feel something out of the ordinary to go see their primary doctor. The one symptom that is the most common symptom of breast cancer is a new or different lump or mass that is usually found within the breast tissue. A painless hard mass that could have irregularly shaped edges is more in likely cancerous. However, there are some breast cancers that can be tender, soft, rounded, and possibly very painful. Some other symptoms that women should be looking out for are skin irritation or dimpling, swelling to all or part of the breast, nipple or breast pain, redness, nipple retraction, thickening of the breast or nipple, and discharge from the nipple other then breast milk. There are some breast cancers that can spread to the lymph nodes that are under the arm or even around the collarbone. These types of cancers can cause swelling or a lump in those areas before the original cancerous tumor in the breast that is large enough for any exam to find.

The main goal for doing screening exams is to find breast cancer before it can start causing any symptoms. Breast cancers that are found during the screening process could be still small in size and bound to the breast tissue area. The size of the breast and how far the breast cancer has spread are two very important factors for doctors and specialists to be able to predict the prognosis for a woman's survival rate. The technology that doctor's are currently using to detect breast cancer in it's earliest stages are pretty amazing. The tools used for early detection are breast exams, biopsy, mammography, MRI, PET/CT scans, miraluma breast imaging, and bone scan.

Although most women that will develop breast cancer will not be able to target only one specific cause for this disease, scientists have been able to learn a lot about risk factors and which ones could be strong indicators for what causes this cancer. Some of those risk factors for breast cancer that a woman cannot change are a person's age, race, and family history. There are some risk factors that can be linked to cancer causing factors within the environment such as smog and chemicals. There are some risk factors that are related to personal behavior, such as diet, drinking, and smoking. Then there are some risk factors that can be influenced more then others and can change over a long period of time such as gender, aging, and lifestyle. There are no proven ways to prevent breast cancer from developing, but there are things every woman can do to reduce their risks of developing this disease. A few of those things that can help reduce the risk of developing breast cancer are watching what you eat and how much you eat, making sure you exercise daily, and to your best to stay away from chemicals that could increase the risk of developing breast cancer.

There are a few general types of treatment for breast cancer that most everyone has been made aware of. A few of those general types of treatment are as follows radiation therapy, chemotherapy, surgery, hormone therapy, bone directed therapy, and targeted therapy, as well as local versus systemic therapy. Breast cancer treatments often times are classified into broad groups depending on how well they work and when they are used. Local therapies are intended to treat a cancerous tumor directly at the site without affecting any other part of the body. Radiation therapy and surgery are examples of local therapies. Systemic therapies refers to the use of drugs that can be given to a patient by mouth or administered directly into the blood stream in order to reach the cancerous cells anywhere in the body. Hormone therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy are examples of systemic therapies.
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
that was good and quite informative... loved to read it... BEST OF LUCK... :)

Home / Research Papers / "Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that starts in the cells of the breast"