Letter of Intent
Research on English as a Second/Foreign Language (ESL/FL) Education
Research on Curriculum and Instruction in TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language)
I would like to be a visiting scholar from 03/2013 to 02/2014 which will last for one year. In this research, I will make comparative analysis on English teaching method as a second language between Canada and China. I aim to analyze the status quo and realize the shortcoming of English teaching in higher vocational college locally and nationally in China. Later on, to explore an advanced TESOL teaching method that can be easily put into practice and to enhance studentsí language capacity in order to meet the demand in job market.
In particular, I will focus on how the curriculum design in oral English teaching in classroom that matches with the actual demand in local job market
It is becoming more crucial for teaching reform in higher vocational collegeís English teaching in order to catch up with this ever-changing world. Although, many relevant researches have been conducted to try to tackle this imbalance of supply and demand in job market in recent years, existing talent training teaching pedagogy and material are not able to provide professionals in foreign trade service, lack of ability of communicating with foreigners fluently and appropriately. There is a big gap to be bridged between teaching and practice. English teaching in higher vocational college is increasingly showing its inefficiency.
Based on my research on English teaching methods together with the investigation on actual language proficiency and learning capacity of students in higher vocational college in China. I aim to construct relevant curriculum standard, the flexible teaching management system, teaching quality evaluation criteria, and studentsí professional capability assessment
Furthermore, I plan to design or introduce an English teaching material to elevate our teaching in higher vocational college, in order to meet their language and professional requirement in service.
ÔĀ¨ Study the current TESOL methods in university.
ÔĀ¨ Collect the advanced teaching materials and try to make an appropriate application on higher vocational college locally and nationally in China.
2013.3Ė2013.6 attend to English class to learn the service process and language term; collect information of advanced language teaching pedagogy and research achievements.
2013.7Ė2013.9 make discussion with designated advisor in language teaching to build a theoretical basis of my own project
2013.10Ė2013.12 make a comparative analysis on TESOL teaching method and materials in college of Canada and China. To realize the shortcoming of English teaching in higher vocational college in China and finally to find a solution to TESOL teaching reform.
2014.1Ė2014.2 finish a thesis in TESOL teaching reform
1. Ellis, R. Understanding Second Language Acquisition. Oxford University Press, 1985
2. Harmer Jeremy. How to Teach English. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2000
3. Krashen, S. Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning. Oxford: Pergamon, 1981
4. Little, D. Learner Autonomy: Definitions, Issues and Problems. Dublin: Authentik, 1999
5. Richards & Rodgers. Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2000
6. Williams, M &Burden, R. Psychology for Language Teachers. Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, the Peopleís Education Press, Cambridge University Press, 2000
7. Liu Shulin, Liu Chunyan and LiuYuewu. New Concept for English Language Teaching and Learning. Hefei: University of Science and Technology of China Press, 2004
8. Dai Junxia and Chen Zonglun. Contemporary English Language Teaching óTheory and Practice. Hefei: University of Science and Technology of China Press, 2004