Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

IELTS WRITING TASK1: Your friend wants you to take care of her child in the weekend

Mike Wong 4 / 3 1  
Your friend wants you to take care of her child in the weekend. Write a letter to the friend:
express your willingness to this request;
give some suggestions when they come and leave;
introduce the activities you have planed.

Dear Alice,

I am glad to babysit your little Jane in the weekend while you are away on a trip abroad. She is so cute that I have been missing her very much since the first time I met her at your home.

Before you send Jane here, I suggest that you bring some of her favorite clothes and toys, just to make her feel at home. You know, kids may feel nervous in a totally new environment, and their belongings will soothe them and make them feel more at ease. Besides, it is better to bring some baby diapers that Jane uses daily. Since my kid Mary is one year older than Jane, her diapers will probably not suit Jane.

As I told you before, there is a newly-built zoo nearby, which is open to the public last week. It will be, therefore, a perfect time for Jane and Mary to have fun during the weekend.

Enjoy your trip!

With Love,
Beth
Bing, this is an excellent effort at writing a letter to your friend. While there are times when it sounds like the letter is too rehearsed and the effort to be grammatically correct becomes obvious, I would still give this letter more than a passing grade if I were your professor. In terms of an IELTS test, this will have passed the criteria already and get you a reasonable band grade. I hope you won't mind if I show you how you can further improve this letter :-)

Dear Alice,

Of course I would be a willing baby-sitter to your little Jane while you are in France. You know how much I adored her when we first met at your home so you won't have to ask me twice about taking her. Enjoy your vacation without worries. My home is Jane's home. I am sure my Mary and I will be able to find a number of fun activities to keep her from missing you guys during that time.

Did I already tell you that a new zoo opened near our community last week? I think that Mary is old enough to enjoy the zoo at this point and going there with Jane will certainly be an enjoyable activity for them. You did say that Jane has a fascination with Kangaroos, and Giraffes right? I think now would be a great time for her to see those animals up-close instead of just on the TV screen.

Speaking of activities, please don't forget to send Jane's favorite toys with her during her visit. It will help her feel at home while she gets to know us. I am sure she will be looking for her favorite Binky and Barn-barn doll when she goes to bed. We both know she can't be without those two favorites of hers. Oh, don't forget the extra diapers. I would share the diapers we have here but Mary is older than Jane and wears bigger diapers.

Enjoy your trip!

With Love,
Beth
OP Mike Wong 4 / 3 1  
Hi, vangiespen.
Thank you for your advice, coz they are sooooo helpful. You really hit the nail on the head!

Home / Letters / IELTS WRITING TASK1: Your friend wants you to take care of her child in the weekend