Home / Letters   % width NEW!

How to Write a Perfect and Winning Resume?

EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
If you're starting from scratch, writing an excellent resume can seem like a daunting task. Never fear! Take things one step at a time and you'll be fine.

The first step is to get a sense of the current trends in resumes. Google keywords associated with resumes in your field and see what a successful resume looks like today. This is important even if you have a vivid image in your mind; chances are, you have some erroneous ideas, and you will need to shake them loose.

And so, make sure you view as many samples as you can, taking notes as you go; at the very least, you should write down the main categories into which resumes in your field are divided. For example, the part where one's job history is presented might be called "Work Experience" or it might be called "Employment." Be sure you align yourself with the latest language used for resumes in your area of expertise.

Over time, after you view a great many sample resumes, you will begin to have a sense of what your own resume will look like.

Next, sit down with the list of main categories and a piece of paper. Brainstorm everything you can remember about yourself as it fits into those categories. You'll be surprised at how many jobs, educational experiences, and volunteer stints you remember. Be sure not to censor yourself, or succumb to a sense of modesty that has no place in the writing of a resume.

Now it's time to choose only those work, educational, volunteer, and other experiences that are the most stellar, as well as the most relevant to your desired job. Also be sure, especially if you are just re-entering the job market after some time, that you aren't featuring academic or job experiences that are far in your past. You want to make sure that there are no gaping holes in the chronology of your resume.

After you have narrowed down your list of accomplishments, it's time to make your life sound pretty. Be sure to use a confident voice (confident but not arrogant), and make sure your language is in line with the samples you've viewed. Be prepared to revisit your wording many times; ideally, write one version, walk away from it, come back, and try again. Each time you will find a better way to say what you want to say.

Next, you might want to find a good template to use for the final version of your resume. Take care not to use a template that's over-used; by the same token, you don't want to choose a format that's so innovative as to be considered edgy. Rather, find something that you feel lets you stand out without making an undue spectacle of yourself.

Now you're ready to enter the information from your rough draft into the template. This might be difficult, as word processing packages vary, but just be ready to play around with margins and fonts and you'll be fine. As you enter your information, you will have an opportunity to perform yet another edit of your words. Then do a spell-check (very important) and print!

But don't rest easy just yet. Scan your printed copy for errors and then put it away for a few days. Take it out again and do the same thing, making any changes you deem necessary. Once you've entered your changes, it's time to print out another copy and ask a friend or colleague to go over your resume with a fine-tooth comb. Undoubtedly he or she will have other suggestions. Be prepared to listen with an open mind.

At this point, you can consider yourself done! Of course, the true test is in the job search; And don't forget to write your cover letter! If, after some time, you have had no luck whatsoever, it might be worthwhile considering hiring a professional to get your resume in order. But that's certainly not a necessity at first; you'll be amazed at what a fine job you can do yourself, with a bit of work.

Good luck!

Home / Letters / How to Write a Perfect and Winning Resume?