Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Letter to FinAid Office explaining a difference in financial status

Karina314 1 / 1  
Hello! Thanks for reading this, hopefully you can help me out. Here's the situation: My mother was given her notice of being laid off in April, due to her seniority she was given the option of being reassigned or just take retirement. My mother is no where close to the retirement age so she took the reassignment which included reduction in hours. Her reassignment was approved and now she works 30 hours a week, which has lowered her status to a part time employee and now we have no health insurance on her part. We lost our dental coverage and must pay around $50 a month for dental and $15 for vision. Having to pay for those overages along with the reduction in hours has caused our income to drop significantly from $79,294 to $74,970 a year. So I am going to write to the financial aid office to see if they will reconsider my award.

To whom it may concern:

My name is Karina and I will be a freshman at UCSC this fall. I am writing because I feel that the information provided on my FAFSA is not an accurate representation of my family's earnings and hope that you will reconsider the aid offered.

My mother was laid off in June, and will not be working for the months of July and August. Due to her seniority was offered reassignment since she is not of age to retire. Her reassignment was approved and now she works 30 hours a week, which has lowered her status to a part time employee and now we have no health insurance on her part. We lost our dental coverage and must pay around $50 a month for dental and $15 for vision. Having to pay for those coverages along with the reduction in hours has caused our income to drop significantly from $79,294 to $74,970 a year. I found a form on your website, the "2012-2013 Parent Future Income Estimate and Expenses" and it is attached along with all needed documentation.

I hope that you will take these numbers into consideration and while I greatly appreciate your generous offer estimate earlier this year, I'm afraid it will be very difficult for me to attend unless my financial aid offer is substantially higher.

Sincerely,
Karina

Of course I would add the date and my student ID and all of that. I was just hoping my wording is okay.
lafortuna 1 / 5  
My name is Karina, and I will be a freshman at UCSC this fall. I am writing because I feel that the information provided on my FAFSA is not an accurate representation of my family's earnings, and I hope that you will reconsider the aid offered.

My mother was laid off in June, and she will not be working for the months of July and August. Due to her seniority was offered reassignment since she is not of age to retire. Her reassignment was approved and now she works 30 hours a week, which has lowered her status to a part time employee and now we have no health insurance on her part. We lost our dental coverage and must pay around $50 a month for dental and $15 for vision. Having to pay for those coverages along with the reduction in hours has caused our income to drop significantly from $79,294 to $74,970 a year. I found a form on your website, the "2012-2013 Parent Future Income Estimate and Expenses" and it is attached along with all needed documentation.

I hope that you will take these numbers into consideration, and while I greatly appreciate your generous offer estimate earlier this year, I'm afraid it will be very difficult for me to attend unless my financial aid offer is substantially higher.

Thank you so much for your time.

---
Overall I think it's fine, you are very specific about the reasons why you are requesting a change. Good luck! Read mine please :)

Home / Letters / Letter to FinAid Office explaining a difference in financial status