Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

english verb tense (simple past, present perfect, past perfect)

colla26 5 / 1  
Hi Sarah, I had to fillout a verb tense worksheet, but was absolutely not sure if I did it right, please I need some feedback, and would appreciate if you could let me know if I have done the worksheet corret. We had to choose the correct verb tense of the sentence.

Here you basically have to choose between simple past/or past perfect!

Here are the sentences:
The one I thought is the correct answer is the one with the questinmark "?".
Please could you let me know if I choose the correct verb tense in the sentences below.

1. By the time firefighters finally arrived (the fire (destroyed/?had destroyed?) most of the building.
2. Tenants who (?rushed?/had rushed) outside when the fire began now watched in shock and disbelief as the firefighters turned their hoses on the blaze.

3. Firefighters were relieved to see that everyone (?got?/had gotten) out of the building safely.
4. Although there were no major injuries, paramedics (?treated?/had treated) two of the tenants for mild smoke inhalation.
5. A cat that never before (ventured/had ventured?) out of its apartment came racing down the stairs at the first sign of flames.
6. Firefighters also (rescued?/had rescued) a pet rabbit.
7. As the sun set that evening, authorities (declared?/had declared) the building a total loss.
8. Once the fire finally (?burned?/had burned) itself out, investigators began sifting through the ashy ruins.
9. The next day investigators reported that someone (left?/had left) a saucepan filled with water on top of a lighted stove burner.
10. After all the water (boiled?/had boiled) away, the bottom of the saucepan began to melt.
11. Investigators also (suggested?/had suggested) that a roll of paper towels may have been left on top of the stove.

Thank you so much. I hope you can help me out here. Some sentences are very tricky!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You've done a good job with this! You are right, some of them are very tricky and, in my opinion, some could go either way. I do think that#2 should be "had rushed" and #3 should be "had gotten," as it seems the tenants were already out by the time the firefighters got there. I think #9 should probably be "had left," and, although #10 could arguably be "had boiled," I think your choice is probably better. On all the others, I agree with you.

Very good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Grammar, Usage / english verb tense (simple past, present perfect, past perfect)