"a top-tier Mechanical Engineering program" - My Umich Engineering Transfer

nmhunsan 1 / -  
I'm sure some of the suggestions will be to integrate more examples. The problem is, talking about some of my ECs will not do any good in here because it asks why I want to transfer. Also I am talking much more extensively in my other essays about those. I will post them if i can get some feedback on these. Thank you very much :)

Please provide a statement (250 words minimum) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

I have absorbed and utilized more information in my first semester of college than any other period in my entire life. Tackling classwork, applying for internships, learning the ropes of a new institution; the thrill that taking on so many fresh challenges gives me is unmatched by anything else I have ever experienced. The will to not just pass my courses, but also thoroughly succeed in them has allowed me to recognize my true potential as a student- something that was never apparent to me until after my senior year of high school. Taking Calculus III was a task beyond my comprehension just over a year ago, let alone passing with an A. I may have only one semester out of the way with several more ahead of me, but now I realize that I'm capable of achieving most anything I set my mind to.

Many students have a desire to transfer to a particular school because they are attracted to its prestige, rigor, and the programs it offers. For me, the University of Michigan is no exception, possessing a top-tier Mechanical Engineering program that is unrivaled compared to my current school, Oakland University. My reasons for transferring aren't only academic though; I consider them to be significantly deeper. I understand why the pride that comes from sporting maize and blue extends far beyond the classroom and athletic fields. There is a particular honor behind being a Michigan Wolverine, a duty to achieve and excel as a human being and to exert a deep passion for pursuing one's own interests. This is part of what makes Ann Arbor and U-M so special, because the goals of the students and the University coexist in harmony.

I confidently exercise this same mentality, with a desire to shine academically and never shy away from becoming involved in ECs that interest me. I want to stand out as a mechanical engineer, and I am counting on my push for excellence to make that happen. Michigan is all about excellence, and it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that Oakland is not. While a great school, most of the student body possesses a certain "get in, get out" attitude towards academics. This is to be expected from a commuter school, but not at all what I anticipated for my college experience. Therefore, I am finding it difficult to find and collaborate with individuals who share my constant press for improvement. I need an environment where I can learn and grow from each course I take, as well as work alongside students who share my passion for being the best I can be.

Come graduation, I demand to have gained much more than a particular set of skills and a diploma. Earning a degree from Michigan certainly represents the expectations I've set for myself- to blossom as a student, an engineer, and most of all a person. If admitted, I'm confident my ambition and passion for engineering will help bring a lasting impact not only to Ann Arbor, but also the future workforce I'll be a part of.
sillygoose 2 / 7  
For me, the University of Michigan is no exception, possessing a top-tier Mechanical Engineering program that is unrivaled compared to my current school, Oakland University.

Michigan is all about excellence, and it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that Oakland is not. While a great school, most of the student body possesses a certain "get in, get out" attitude towards academics. This is to be expected from a commuter school, but not at all what I anticipated for my college experience. Therefore, I am finding it difficult to find and collaborate with individuals who share my constant press for improvement

I would prefer not to compare the prestige of my current school to UM, even though my current school may be a very crappy one. Avoid giving the impression that you are putting your current school down. In stead you may want to tell why you think UM is a top-tier one, is there any famous professor you want to work with? any class there that you've attended (even before applying) and found interesting and Oakland is not offering any similar one...or you've contacted some students in UM to find info about UM, and received a lot of support and helpful advice (and this led to your confidence in the collaborative culture of the UM community, for example).

Can you please also have a look at my essays as well? Any critique will be highly appreciated!

Home / Graduate / "a top-tier Mechanical Engineering program" - My Umich Engineering Transfer