Statement of Purpose For PhD in Management (MBA) -- human behavior

asif2311 1 / 2  
The past five years has given me an opportunity to understand and carve out a career path for myself. In this period I got opportunities to explore the world around me and that lead me to discover the urge in me to go further in the field of management and human behavior.

After my under graduation in 2004 I went on to look after the human capital needs of an engineering firm in India. I got fascinated by the trials and tribulations of understanding the very facet of recruitment and performance management which I was working on for the company. Over the next couple of years I went deeper into this stream and completed a degree in management. This was the turning point of my life as the different courses in management fascinated me even more. I felt that although I was able to understand human aspect of organization in a better manner, but at the same time felt as if I know very little of what lies beyond what I was studying.

During the time I was studying management and organization in 2006 and 2007, I came across a couple of challenging projects which made my belief even stronger that this field of study is the one where I want to go further.

The first research was internship at one of the world's largest Oil and Natural Gas firms. I was taking up the task of analyzing the transfer policy and its implementation at the company's headquarters. The results, which I got at the end of the ten week research, were an eye opener for the organization.

The policy in most cases of transfers was implemented loosely and the rules were bent in order to please the more influential employees.

Hardly any of the employees wanted to move on with a transfer from the organization and there was stern résistance towards these transfers. The reasons for this were varied but the bottom line was that there was a lot of discrepancies between what the policy stated and what was going on.

After the completion of such a research, I sat and thought to myself that things in the field of human management are highly nuance and complex than I had ever thought.

The second project was a dissertation for my degree in management. I took up the mantle of analyzing the current scenario of performance management system in organizations and what lies ahead in this field. As with the research pointed about above, this final semester project gave me enough opportunities to look at a variety of firms and there different ways of managing, analyzing and calculating performance.

I continued to dwell further into the field of management and went on to work part time with a couple of recruitment agencies in India. How this experience was unique was in that the first company I worked for, I was on the supply side of human resource as I worked as a recruiter for companies in the field of Information Technology. After gaining decent knowledge on the recruitment and selection processes at various organizational levels in the IT industry, I went on to work for another corporate recruitment firm, but this time the roles reversed and I managed their business needs. I was looking after the strength of the clients base the company was having and that provided me with an invaluable experience of knowing what it takes to convince prospective clients to tie with us for their recruitment needs.

After working in the corporate HR world for half a decade I decided to get an MBA and is currently pursuing an MBA in Managemnt and International Business from Florida, USA.

Taking up international business as I know that in order to understand the human aspects of any organization we need to understand the international cultural differences, laws and economy that is bound to influence individual behavior. Taking up management as I wanted to hone my skills in this field and had decided to move further into the field of management after MBA and hence I feel an MBA in Management could be the stepping stone for bigger things to come.

Along with the MBA, I am working on a project of USA's fourth largest energy company. The project is on risk management and I have been entrusted with the job of finding out the relation between risk and human behavior and to understand as to what extent the human propensity to take risks is linked to the compensation of the individual.

There have been findings made in the field but as am still working on the project, would like to state further after the completion of the same.

All these experiences of the past half a decade mentioned above has lead me to firmly believe that ore of human behavior and organization has lead me to believe that I should go on further into decrypting the values, attitudes, perception and behavior of people in organizations and personal life.

My area of interests are human behavior towards risks related to monetary gains in organizations. Human perception and attitudes in personal as well as organizational settings. Performance management system and its relation to attrition rates in organizations. ( In this I want to study about the attitude and behavior of employees which leads them to leave organization related to the way they are treated with regard to their performance).

I find that the research project in your university would be apt for what am looking for.

Thanking You.
Asif Islam
linmark 2 / 328 7  
You have a rich background in H.R. - please pick out the most significant and build on it. This will strengthen your essay and make it more interesting, engaging for the reader. (Quality, not quantity - you don't need to recount every experience in the past 5 years.) There are many grammatical corrections I could make but first, please try to synthesize your experiences and succinctly state what compels you to get a Phd (aside from curiosity - which is what it sounds like from this paragraph:

All these experiences of the past half a decade mentioned above has lead me to firmly believe that ore of human behavior and organization has lead me to believe that(unnecessary repetition?) I should go on further into decrypting the values, attitudes, perception and behavior of people in organizations and personal life.
It sounds like Linmark is suggesting a memorable theme that will stick in the reader's mind.

The past five years have given me an opportunity to understand and carve out a career path for myself. During this period I got opportunities to explore the world around me and that led me to discover the urge in me to go further in the fields of management and human behavior.

I felt that although I was able to understand human aspect of organization in a better deeper and more complete manner, but at the same time felt ...

After the completion of such a research, I sat and thought to myself that things in the field of human management are highly nuanced and more complex than I had ever thought.

There have been findings made in the field, but as am still working on the project, would like to state further after the completion of the same. Rewrite this sentence. I don;t think you should use "the same." Keep is simple. It is confusing this way.

All these experiences of the past half a decade mentioned above has have lead me to firmly ... --- when it is one thing, use "has" but when it is more than one thing use "have."

This is SO impressive!! Congratulations, you will do well for sure.
OP asif2311 1 / 2  
Thanks alot Linmark and kevin, I wrote this piece as a first draft and at one go just to put the experiences together. That is primarily the reason why the grammer has gone hey-wire. You guys are great and Ill post a refined statement in a few days. I am struggling to shorten this statement as of now, but ill try my best.

Apart from the grammer kevin what do you think are the areas to improve on? I have put everything as honestly and straight a possible. Whatever I have realised over this period of working in different projects, I have tried to post in words. So any suggessions on the content.
Well your accomplishments in the body of the thing are great. You need to look at the first and last paragraph, I think.

First paragraph: Add a sentence to the beginning to hook the reader's attention... perhaps a short sentence that raises a question in the reader's mind. Add a sentence to the end of that first paragraph as well. Let it be a sentence that establishes a THEME for the essay that the reader will remember.

This is something that must be done when you are feeling creative. don't force it. You'll get a good idea some time later today! :-)

Last paragraph: I find that the research project in your university would be apt for what am looking for. This does not really say anything at all; it is obvious that you like what they offer, because that is why you are applying. End the essay with a conclusion that leaves the reader wit something to think about -- one way is to reflect on the IMPLICATIONS of what you have said in the essay. What I mean by that is: conclude with a few statements about the great results that can come from you attending this program, things to be excited about.
OP asif2311 1 / 2  
Thanks alot kevin now i can really work on this, ill come back with these changes in a few days...

Home / Graduate / Statement of Purpose For PhD in Management (MBA) -- human behavior