Individual presentation for Master of Science in Software Engineering

sim0s 1 / 1  
Personal Statement for Msc in Software Engineering

access to the highly esteemed university

Right from my childhood days, I was interested in anything related to science & technology. In high school when the computer teacher asked me why I want to study Computer Science, my answer was "because is an amazing and very interesting area where its evolution progress never stops". I remember her, sharing her experiences as a Software Project Manager and since then I knew I wanted to study Computer Science and continue further my studies taking a master degree in Software Engineering.

I am a senior student at the Computer Science Department of University of Cyprus. My undergraduate studies have included Software Engineering, Software Engineering Group Project, Constraint Satisfaction in Programming, Databases, Object Oriented Programming, Human Computer Interaction and Learning Systems. Though my interaction with the aforementioned courses and working during summer period as a trainee programmer, I have been able to improve my programming, management and research skills and I have gained valuable expertise in Computer Science. My own sphere of special interest in the field of Computer Science is comprised by the connection between Software Project Management and Software Development.

At this moment, I am working on my thesis which is related to Resource Constraint Project Scheduling Problem (RCPSP) using Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm. I have to say that this area of research is very interesting and challenging because always you try to handle problems you come across during project development such as meeting strict deadlines, satisfying budget constraints or employees assignment aiming at maximum utilization. I have gained a lot of experience in research, organization, management and software development dealing with this well known NP-hard problem. I look forward to finalize my thesis and write a scientific paper regarding the work done and the conclusions derived.

I am almost at the end of my Bachelor's degree being highly recommended and having 7.6/10 GPA. Admittedly, my own life-long goal is to be a professional software project manager and the (master degree program) I have chosen, is not an accidental choice of mine but has been made after serious thought. I strongly believe that I am an excellent candidate for your program because I am a hard working man who never ceases to explore new technologies. I have the necessary combination of self-motivation, personality and academic knowledge to succeed in the Master's degree program. Finally, when it comes to quality education I have no doubt that (uni name) is the appropriate one for me, since it provides the right academic climate, thus, I would like to continue my studies in your university to further improve my future prospects and my professional life.

Thanks you in advance for considering my application. It would be a great honor if given an opportunity to pursue further studies at your highly esteemed university.

Guys, i need your comments for my PS above. Do you have any improvements to make?
Thanks in advance.

Ps: thanks to squalla. i used her/his ps as guideline.
Your essay is shaping up nicely, though I did find a few small things to correct;

Since my childhood days, I have been interested in anything related to science & technology.

In high school when the computer teacher asked me why I want to study Computer Science, my answer was "because it is an amazing and very interesting area...

My own sphere of special interest in the field of Computer Science is comprised of the connection between Software Project Management and Software Development.

I have to say that this area of research is very interesting and challenging because you always try to handle problems you come across...

I look forward to finalizing my thesis and writing a scientific paper regarding the work done and the conclusions derived.

I am almost at the end of my Bachelor's degree being highly recommended and having 7.6/10 GPA. Admittedly, my own life-long goal is to be a professional software project manager and the (master degree) program I have chosen, is not an accidental choice of mine but has been made after serious thought.

Thank you in advance for considering my application. It would be a great honor to be given an opportunity to pursue further studies at your highly esteemed university.
OP sim0s 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot Susan for your help.
I will apply your adjustments.
It was really helpful.

Do you think that is a personal statement that impresses the admission personnel?
Is there anything else that i can add?

Thanks in advance.

Home / Graduate / Individual presentation for Master of Science in Software Engineering